Shuddering/shaking under braking and clunking noise?

x_lisa_x

Hi all - signed in on wife's account as I couldn't get logged in for some reason.

Two or three weeks ago, my car (LCR) gradually started shuddering/shaking under braking, mainly from 40mph plus. As the MOT had advised the front brakes would need doing soon, I put new discs and pads on the hoping that this was the cause, but unfortunately the problem remains. I can rule out warped discs as both old and new do it, and the new ones did it straight away under light braking.

In the last couple of days I have noticed a clunking noise, which only seems to occur during fairly slow, tight right hand corners (nothing in the boot and spare wheel isn't loose). There also sometimes seems to be a very slight rumble around some bends. The braking judder feels like it's coming from the front, and the clunking sounds like the rear, but it's difficult to tell. I'm assuming/hoping that the two are the same problem gradually getting worse (although it's quite possible they are separate issues).

I am a bit of a novice, but don't mind looking around and doing simpler jobs, and can call on dad to help too.

I think I can rule out the following causes:
- Brakes (as mentioned above)
- Wheel balancing (no vibrations at speed etc.)
- Front Wheel bearings (tried to wobble the wheels when jacked up doing the brakes but all OK - Will check the back)
- Bushes (These were all changed for Poly bushes within the last year)

Has anyone had anything similar, or got any ideas what it could be or where to start looking over the weekend?

Thanks for your help.

chris c

Jun 3, 2010
The knocking may be your exhaust. I had the same, only on tight right bends and it turned out some of the mounts were missing. £20 worth of welding fixed that. Give the exhaust a shake from side to side and see if you can get it to knock without too much effort.

You can't rule out wheel bearings by wobbling the wheels these days. The tolerances are too good so you don't tend to get that symptom from knackered bearings. I've had both fronts replaced over the past year.

Can't help with the shuddering under braking but mine is doing the same so will be interested in the outcome. I've assumed it is the brakes as my discs definitely are on their last legs but we'll see. What discs have you put on?

x_lisa_x

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to have a look at it yesterday.

I put Mintex discs and pads on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.