Sidewall damage

LeonFR21

Apr 1, 2021
Hello,

This is my first post/question.

I recently purchased a Seat Leon FR and scuffed my alloys and tyres on the same day! Upset would be an understatement!

I just wanted to some advice around whether I change my brand new tyres due to some of the tyre peeling of the side?

Image attached.

Moe

Attachments

• D447C916-A6FA-4798-BAEF-194A86B8FFA3.jpeg
    D447C916-A6FA-4798-BAEF-194A86B8FFA3.jpeg
    687.9 KB · Views: 186

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
No, that's fine. That's some of the laughingly entitled "rim protection strip" that doesn't! If you get a subsequent bulge, indicating damage to the carcass then yes.

Reactions: LeonFR21

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I had similar damage on one of the tyres on my previous car. I asked a local tyre fitting place if it was safe / OK to use. They could’ve easily told me I needed a new tyre and charged me for the privilege, but they were honest and said it was fine.

Reactions: Mr Pig and LeonFR21

LeonFR21

Apr 1, 2021
I had similar damage on one of the tyres on my previous car. I asked a local tyre fitting place if it was safe / OK to use. They could’ve easily told me I needed a new tyre and charged me for the privilege, but they were honest and said it was fine.
Thank you for sharing mate. Much appreciated.

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
The rule of thumb here is: no wire or cord should be visible or possibly exposed to water intrusion. Anyway, scuffing won't do much harm. Hitting a curb dead on at speed would increase chances of deeper tyre damage.

LeonFR21

Apr 1, 2021
The rule of thumb here is: no wire or cord should be visible or possibly exposed to water intrusion. Anyway, scuffing won't do much harm. Hitting a curb dead on at speed would increase chances of deeper tyre damage.
Thank you. That gives me reassurance. I was driving at probably 5mph and scraped the kerb. The crunching sound of metal and concrete is just painful!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Could be worse. A friend of mine put two new tyres on his Mini Cooper recently and destroyed them both on potholes within weeks!

LeonFR21

Apr 1, 2021
Could be worse. A friend of mine put two new tyres on his Mini Cooper recently and destroyed them both on potholes within weeks!
That’s terrible! Potholes are just so annoying! Especially when you drive over those that are as deep as a crater...and only realise when it’s too late!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I used to know where the potholes were on my regular routes but with lockdown, I’m hardly using my car. I need to try and make certain it’s daylight when I start using my car regularly again, so I can scout out where the potholes are, rather than do some irreparable damage in the dark!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
That’s terrible! Potholes are just so annoying!
I hit a really bad one in the dark two years ago. Big bang! dented the wheel but thankfully it was the steel winter wheels. Got the dent knocked back out and the tyre was undamaged.

Years ago I bought two new front tyres. My wife picked me up from work the next day as soon as we drove off I said 'What's that noise?'. She's driven about on a flat tyre without noticing. Tyre looked perfect but when they took it off the inside was destroyed. Tyre was full of bits of rubber.

I reckon it had picked up the bit of metal at the tyre fitters. Brand new tyre, destroyed in 24 hours.

LeonFR21

Apr 1, 2021
I used to know where the potholes were on my regular routes but with lockdown, I’m hardly using my car. I need to try and make certain it’s daylight when I start using my car regularly again, so I can scout out where the potholes are, rather than do some irreparable damage in the dark!
Definitely seems like a wise idea!

LeonFR21

Apr 1, 2021
I hit a really bad one in the dark two years ago. Big bang! dented the wheel but thankfully it was the steel winter wheels. Got the dent knocked back out and the tyre was undamaged.

Years ago I bought two new front tyres. My wife picked me up from work the next day as soon as we drove off I said 'What's that noise?'. She's driven about on a flat tyre without noticing. Tyre looked perfect but when they took it off the inside was destroyed. Tyre was full of bits of rubber.

I reckon it had picked up the bit of metal at the tyre fitters. Brand new tyre, destroyed in 24 hours.
The most frustrating thing about tyres is having to change at least two at a time when one of them is in perfectly good condition. As much as I understand the rationale, it does burn a hole in your pocket and twice as much!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The most frustrating thing about tyres is having to change at least two at a time when one of them is in perfectly good condition.
I don't grudge money on tyres at all. I want to buy the best and have even managed to convince my wife to let me! My wife is no racing driver but I've got four brand new PS4s here to go on her car.

Do you remember the time someone cut out on you and you had to stand on the brakes? Or the time you misjudged a corner and just made it round? Or maybe you didn't?

The difference between good tyres and cheaper tyres might be the difference between a little fright and hitting a tree. A near miss or killing a child. I don't take chances on them. I buy the best I can afford and I'm happy to do it.

Reactions: JCB360

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
I don't grudge money on tyres at all. I want to buy the best and have even managed to convince my wife to let me! My wife is no racing driver but I've got four brand new PS4s here to go on her car.

Do you remember the time someone cut out on you and you had to stand on the brakes? Or the time you misjudged a corner and just made it round? Or maybe you didn't?

The difference between good tyres and cheaper tyres might be the difference between a little fright and hitting a tree. A near miss or killing a child. I don't take chances on them. I buy the best I can afford and I'm happy to do it.
I don't think anyone was pointing out the opposite Mr Pig ;)