Silicone TIP ... do i get any Horse Power or is just to avoid collapse of the hose?

rabe187

Mar 19, 2009
Saudi Arabia
www.cardomain.com
I've done my stage 1 with APR and i've been told to avoid the hose collapsing i should install an aftermarket TIP ... which i plan on doing.

The question is do i actually get any HP gains from installing one?

Cheers

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
You will if u think about it. If the standard tip collapses you will lose power so in a sence you will gain from a aftermarket 1

rabe187

Mar 19, 2009
Saudi Arabia
www.cardomain.com
Thanks guys ... the thing is i was reading on Forge's website and i cam across this statement

"The results show a 5.82 whp increase using the stock programming and a 12.26 whp increase using the APR 93 Octane programming with an SAE correction factor."

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=190201SILH&product=FMGOLFIND

so that got me thinking maybe u do get gains but only in junction with other modifications ... what are ure thoughts???

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Unless your tip is very perished I cant see it collapsing on an LC.
As the stock tip isnt restrictive i cant see any gains either :shrug:

But having a stronger TIP cant be a bad thing either:) and it looks nice:D

Aug 24, 2007
The metal elbow on the LC is far smaller than the silicone ones so may cause a tiny restriction but not much. The other mods will allow more air to be drawn in so your thoughts match my own :)

The tip collapsing theory is one I've never bought in to, not with a huge cone filter bolted on anyway :D

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
On a standard car it'll make no difference at all. When you start putting larger downpipes and sports cats on the car along with remaps to suit, the stock TIP becomes the weak link in the car's ability to get air into and out of the engine as quickly as possible. The reason the standard TIP collapses inwards on a modded car is that the engine is trying to draw more air through the TIP than it is physically capable of flowing, hence the rubber hose starts to collapse under boost.

You will definitely see a power increase with a good Silicone TIP on a mapped car with exhaust mods, no doubt about it.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
A lot of people dont realise that a restrictive air intake is also a key factor to a tip collapsing,

have a look at a vacuum cleaner which has a bag when you cover the nossle, very much same theory

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Re: Silicone TIP ... do i get any Horse Power or is just to avoid collapse of the hos

On a standard car it'll make no difference at all. When you start putting larger downpipes and sports cats on the car along with remaps to suit, the stock TIP becomes the weak link in the car's ability to get air into and out of the engine as quickly as possible. The reason the standard TIP collapses inwards on a modded car is that the engine is trying to draw more air through the TIP than it is physically capable of flowing, hence the rubber hose starts to collapse under boost.

You will definitely see a power increase with a good Silicone TIP on a mapped car with exhaust mods, no doubt about it.

It sounds good yet my tip is the original 2001 one, albeit modded to fit the turbo and hasnt suffered. thats with the power in my sig. I think its more what mylo and steely are saying. If the flow from start to finish is free and easy theres nothing to create a problem.

When i was stage 2 I got 242bhp. I doubt adding a tip would have increased that. Im guessing but i think the ko3s is a bigger restriction in itself than the tip.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Silicone TIP ... do i get any Horse Power or is just to avoid collapse of the hos

It sounds good yet my tip is the original 2001 one, albeit modded to fit the turbo and hasnt suffered. thats with the power in my sig. I think its more what mylo and steely are saying. If the flow from start to finish is free and easy theres nothing to create a problem.

When i was stage 2 I got 242bhp. I doubt adding a tip would have increased that. Im guessing but i think the ko3s is a bigger restriction in itself than the tip.

Sounds reasonable Pat, but on the flip side of the coin, my last Leon was about 5 bhp up with the Forge TIP. I think it depends on the general health of the rubber on your factory TIP and the amount of boost your map is creating. My Jabba map was on 2350mbar+ quite low down in the rev range and the factory TIP didn't like that at all.

If the map is quite aggresive with initial boost, there is more chance of TIP collapse than if the map is more progressive.

auq

Avoiding Potholes!
Feb 11, 2010
Leicestershire

i have a samco tip fitted and relocated dump valve, cars pretty much standard though, next step is stage 1 and cat back!!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex

Sounds reasonable Pat, but on the flip side of the coin, my last Leon was about 5 bhp up with the Forge TIP. I think it depends on the general health of the rubber on your factory TIP and the amount of boost your map is creating. My Jabba map was on 2350mbar+ quite low down in the rev range and the factory TIP didn't like that at all.

If the map is quite aggresive with initial boost, there is more chance of TIP collapse than if the map is more progressive.

have a read of post 10. http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=264027

If he did ring forge then us lc owners dont have much to worry about. But as you say condition, map, filter will play a part.

Main thing if it did collapse we`d know about it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.