Slow speed fan problem - Guide to fixing

googujube

LCR225
Jan 1, 2013
York
A guy at a local garage seems to think lack of aircon could effect this. Hence why the neme fix didnt work. This is driving me mad.

Its going in for a rod uprate next week and I wanted it sorting by then.

bhavesh

How can I make sure its the resistors? As both fans doing when they do kick in on high speed?

bhavesh

Hi guys I'm in the process of ordering all the parts required for the modification, why is the cable used have two different colour? Where can I get the required one from?

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
Hi guys I'm in the process of ordering all the parts required for the modification, why is the cable used have two different colour? Where can I get the required one from?

It can be a bit fiddly working down and round there for some people, you'll appreciate two different coloured cables when space is tight and your trying to work out what gets cut to go where and what not

Its also good practice and this is not a 1950's car where all the cables were pretty much the same colour

Where you can get the resistors and where some have got them a bit cheaper can all be found by reading the thread, its all here to for you to help you so I'm not gonna spoon feed you in finding it, have a read, it'll help, trust me

Turbo_Boss

I was reading all the info on how to fix the Radiator Fans with the Resistor Mod

Its look like there are some confusion in how to connect the resistors.

Keep in mind that your car has 2 fans. One big and one small.

The two connectors that you see under the battery belong to each fan. This mean that the big fan has a 3 wire plug/connector and the small fan has also has 3 wire plug connector too

So the fan circuit has to look like this including the 2 fans
fancircuit_zpsc78fbd4c.jpg

Here you can see the two Plugs/Connectors. One connector for the big fan and the other connector for the small fan
FANCONECTORS_zps5eabdd8b.jpg

I also notice that there is a company thats is selling the 2 Fans Assembly for US$99.00 and you can see each fan has his own resistor. Dont know the quality of does fans but you can check it here: http://www.shepherdautoparts.com/fan_assembly/volkswagen/jetta/2003.html

fan_assembly-FA6103_zpsd66abd24.jpg

Hope all this info help you guys to understand how to set up the resistor mod

Isaac

Last edited by a moderator:

adeyspec

Oct 9, 2013
my small fan is dead, completely, only works when pressure is applied to the back of it but my large fan runs slow with the aircon on, if i pull the triangular plug off the rad, and test it low and high it runs fine on both. can anyone confirm that this means the fans resistor is still ok, as far as i can tell it is. i want to replace the whole thing but was going to keep the large on as a spare if its all good.

cheers

adey

cupra st1

Nov 19, 2013
dorset
i am having the same problem the gauge reads 90 degrees but vagcom shows 104 degrees. i tried your solution but still no power to the fan but runs if connected direct.tried the aircon you can hear the click any idaes? i am stumped it should of worked.

cupra st1

Nov 19, 2013
dorset
slow speed radiator fan not working
i am having the same problem the gauge reads 90 degrees but vagcom shows 104 degrees. i tried your solution but still no power to the fan but runs if connected direct.tried the aircon you can hear the click any idaes? i am stumped it should of worked.

markpile

Wolves till i die!!!!
Mar 15, 2014
Wolverhampton
Here is a problem I appear to have, I've never heard the fans kick in, so ran my engine today with torque app running for coolant temp, air on works the fans fine, temp hit 93 engine tone changed fans came on a slow speed for no more than 5 seconds then went off again 5 mins later did the same, any ideas

Thanks mark

cupra st1

Nov 19, 2013
dorset
Here is a problem I appear to have, I've never heard the fans kick in, so ran my engine today with torque app running for coolant temp, air on works the fans fine, temp hit 93 engine tone changed fans came on a slow speed for no more than 5 seconds then went off again 5 mins later did the same, any ideas

Thanks mark

not sure have you checked the coolant tempature sensor? get the green one its an upgrade and easy to change yourself

good luck paul

markpile

Wolves till i die!!!!
Mar 15, 2014
Wolverhampton
The green one is already in car so looks like I gotta Starrt pissing about, honestly in the 6 weeks of owning this car it's been one split hose after another with the pcv the sai pipes split now this slow speed thing honestly

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

a123b

Dec 20, 2011
bristol or chester
Wiring

Hey what's up. Just did this using the guide and set it up exactly the same with the angle brackets on the battery tray (which was rusted to **** and a massive ball ache :censored:). They are working flawlessly now!! However, got the wrong sized heatshrink. Did Manage to get it on the resistors okay, didn't manage to get it to fit on the wire near the fan connectors. Tried stretching it, but wasn't having any of it. Wrapped them in quite a lot of electrical tape, however I'm not sure how this would stand up to rain/salt/winds etc. do you think it's going to be okay, or am I looking at having to use something like liquid electrical tape to stop electrical fires etc lol