Slow speed noise when turning left

Richard S

I recall reading that a couple of other people have experienced a rattling noise when moving very slowly to the left with above 3 quarter lock. I too am now getting the noise in my 4 day old TFSI with 200 miles on the clock.

Anyone find out what was causing it and what the dealers are doing to rectify the issue?

Anthony Webb

spyke85 said:
I know a few A4's have a problem like this and they are yet to find whats causing it!

The noise your experencing is from the steering rack, electromechanical power steering. This is a known defect especially on left hand turns at low speed and even stationary turning. The cause is the worm drive gear inside the rack, tollerences incorrect, main dealer need to look at vehicle Seat have modified these steering racks to over come this fault. VW and Skoda do suffer similar symptoms as they also use this steering set up.

Anthony Webb

Electromechanical steering rack creaking noises especialy on left hand turning, is a known fault with these types of steering systems. It is down to insufficent preasure to the worm drive gear insde the steering assembly. Modified racks are being produced to over come this problem. Part from this ok.

TDI_Drew

Jan 31, 2005
Glasgow
Richard S said:
I recall reading that a couple of other people have experienced a rattling noise when moving very slowly to the left with above 3 quarter lock. I too am now getting the noise in my 4 day old TFSI with 200 miles on the clock.

Anyone find out what was causing it and what the dealers are doing to rectify the issue?

Mine also started doing it, although after a few thousand miles. Just got the new rack fitted today and so far so good, although it's too early too tell if it has actually fixed the problem long term. The best thing about it for me is that the steering feels weightier, not overly assisted as I thought before it was done.

Richard S

I've just had it checked out by the dealer. The rack needs replacing as it's in the batch that has the issue. They have ordered a replacement but said that it's difficult to source one due to high demand. No Sh*t.

Apparently it's not a safety issue so I'm not too fussed to wait.