Snow and Front Wipers

Tell

Staff member
Well I'm sure all you people that live up north have already worked out it's good to take the snow off the windscreen using a scrapper and not be lazy as I was this morning and use the wiper... reason they won't retract back into the pillar with the snow packed in there... took me three goes at putting in it in service mode and digging the snow out of the pillar with a gloved finger. No damage was caused.

I'll no better in the future.

jtmac

Not had that much snow in my bit of Bradford or where I work in York. It's been icy and frosty though.

I was worried about the wipers freezing in place while they are tucked away and not beeing able to lift them up to free them, but it's been ok so far.

I was considering parking with the wipers in service mode for that reason.

Might dig out the windscreen cover my dad bought me all those Christmases ago.

Tell

Staff member
I haven't had them froozen on but then I try not to use the wipers until the windscreen is clear of frost else you spray and it all freezes up. You normally lift them up a bit when defrosting, but then I haven't done that with the Altea. But the technique of just giving a wipe to get rid of the loose slow isn't a good one. I think I did it since I couldn't see out of the back, front or sides and being on a busy road couldn't get back out with ease. Saying that it's no joy clearing out the pillar where the blades have scooped up the snow and packed them back into where the came from. They stopped about two inches out at the top.

Probably tells you not to do it in the manual......

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
I had a 20minute drive to work this morning and i had about 2inch of snow in the pillar. It wasn't snowing that much but if i had to drive any futher i would have had to get out and clear the snow from the pillar area. Nice idea to have the wipers tucked away but not when it snows !!!!!!!