So am I going to be Lucky or not??

Darren Pepper

Apr 28, 2020
Nottingham
I posted this in the wrong area yesterday. Sorry about that..
So about 3 years ago my nephew bought a Seat Ibiza 1.4 Fr 2010 plate.
Around a year later he was driving it around with the oil light flickering when apparently the car stopped. A garage dragged the car in and told him the engine and gearbox were knackered. Charged him £600 for that and left a load of parts in his boot.
He got it back home, put it into my sisters garage and there it has stayed untouched whilst still paying the finance.
My sister told me he was going to scrap it a couple of weeks ago. So I said I would have it and see what I could do with it, as on this lockdown I have done every DIY job known to man!
Cut a long story short the car was transported over here on Friday. I cleaned it outside and in so it looked more presentable then came to the crunch of finally having a look of what was wrong...
First of all I removed the spark plugs then tried to turn the crank by hand. It moved quiet freely. So I assume it hasn't siezed as the garage had said. Pistons were going up and down and no clattering on valve noise. So assuming at this point the timing maybe OK. Put on a new fuel filter and new battery as it would not keep charge.
Turned the car over by key without spark plugs, my thoughts were less resistance... Still no banging and clattering... used a spark plug tool to measure what spark voltage I am getting to see if all the coil packs were working, satisfied although low I thought put the spark plugs in. Primed the fuel pump with several turns of the key then went for it... it sounded like it almost fired yet there was a thump of what sounded like air.
Tomorrow I will check the timing and see where abouts that is... I have a compression yester coming on Thursday and so will try that then too...
I feel with reading several posts on here its going to be sinister... but ah well keep me busy..

So am I going to be lucky and not to have bent valves?

Darren Pepper

Apr 28, 2020
Nottingham
So a few things on my mind at the minute that hopefully you guys could help with.

I obviously need a locking kit to change the cam chain. Is there any particular make that you guys swear by?

Any particular make of Cam chain kit I should go for and the best place to buy from?

To do a visual check, is there marks on the crank pulley to line up with something to represent TDC? I could then slip off the cam end covers to see if they are at 4 & 8 o'clock ish...

If valves are bent is it better to repair the head with new valves and guides etc... (I suppose I'll know its being done) or get a secondhand head? This was the way to go a few years back when I constantly worked on Vauxhall Omegas as 24 valves turned out rather expensive..

Cheers Guys
Daz

Darren Pepper

Apr 28, 2020
Nottingham
20200429_121903.jpg

Darren Pepper

Apr 28, 2020
Nottingham
Todays finds....
Removed No1 spark plug, then put a 1/4" drive extension down to rest on top of the piston.
Rotated the crank pulley through clockwise until the extension at it highest point before dropping down then looked at the cam ends location holes. They were opposite where they are supposed to be. So rotated the crank again until again the extension was at the top of its travel. Then took another look at the cam ends location holes ((the picture above is of that).
Looks to me asthough the inlet cam (rear) is not far off where it should be. Yet the outlet cam (front) seems to have slipped.
Obviously something went wrong with the cam chain tensioner that's allowed cam slip. Will this have bent valves?
Looks like possible head off, new valves, head gasket, cam chain etc....
My next question... if the valves have being bent, will that force damaged anything below? Controls etc....
I would personally doubt that as I assume valves are not as tough as conrods etc... but your knowledge on these cars is far greater than my own.
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
Daz

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.