So, i fitted a cone filter.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
When i bought the car it was slightly modified. It had a stage 1 remap, forge dump(?) Valve. N49 delete. And a load of silicone hoses. All adding up to a very enjoyable car.
Me, not being able to leave it alone have done a few bits aswell.
Milltek exhaust from the cats back. Badger 5 induction pipe and last but not least, a cone air filter.

Now, the car used to pick up nicely and when it hit 3k and above, it would go crazy. Torque steer and spinning up. Good times lol.

Last weekend is when i fitted the cone air filter.
Now it feels different.
Now when it hits 3k it still picks up but not as aggressively.
I cant decide weather fitting the filter has......

A=Lost the car some power.
B=Made it a lot smoother through the revs resulting in less kick at 3k+

Its definitely different to how it was before.

Do i need to take my car to a clever man with a laptop to program in the work ive done?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
As Bruce said could be heat soak.
Not good for the car but you can see if you have the original power you had when car has only been running a few mins. Ie before it’s chucking out lots of heat.
If you do. Then it’ll be heat soak.
Which filter have you fitted?
Usually only drops the power by a couple of gee gees with a shield.
Other things,may be a small boost leak from a split hose.
Worth digging about and checking.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Its a Ramair filter with heat shield.
Ill take a look round for leaks but i think it definately relates to the filter.

Drove the car into the workshop pulling hard.
Drove out the workshop not so much.
Ill give your advice a go on the way home.

Rich

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Ram air with heat shield shouldn’t be a problem.
I have same in my car.
Got the right size etc?
Even if you lost say 5-8 horses. Which you wouldn’t really. The car would still perform really well.
I’d be looking for a leak of some sort if the power drain is that noticeable.
Things get moved about and leaned on etc when under the hood. Check all connections etc
Ideally you’d do a smoke test.

Reactions: Woody_72

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I think you maybe right. Gave the car some beans after 5 minutes of running and it seemed to pick up ok. I'll try it again over the next few days and see how it goes. Wiill have a look and decide what to do at the weekend.
Thanks for your input guys.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
There was an old video on YouTube placing the standard paper filter against updated filters and the standard filter came out better for the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Honestly when I got my car stock had the same thing torque steer and TCS popping up, cone filter felt less something, but sounded so damn good I couldn’t take it off. I did try the air box again once and couldn’t feel a difference so I stuck with the cone.

Same induction kit as you, fyi the heat shield does nothing but act as nice MAF mount. Look at the badger 5 shield for a better option. I got an FMIC now so my intake temps are down.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I fitted the original air filter housing back on today.
Torqier under 3k and trying to drag me across the road over 3k.

Thats more like it :)

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Stage 1 at AMD Tuning in essex. N49(?) deleted. Red silicone hoses all over the place. Forge diverter valve with yellow spring. Thats how i bought the car. With reciepts for work done. And a rolling road print out of the car making 260hp twice.

Ive put a milltek non res exhaust on (old one was slowly rusting away).
And a badger 5 induction pipe on. And a few cheeky holes in the bottom of the airbox.
Fully serviced with genuine parts.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Oh right, the reason I ask is that it's usually advised to ditch the stock airbox on mapped cars.
Personally I'd have preferred to keep mine but when the map was done by R-Tech for the previous owner it had a different cone filter.
Also the question was asked if the airbox could be kept but was told it would be a restriction when pushing for more power.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Stage 1 at AMD Tuning in essex. N49(?) deleted. Red silicone hoses all over the place. Forge diverter valve with yellow spring. Thats how i bought the car. With reciepts for work done. And a rolling road print out of the car making 260hp twice.

Ive put a milltek non res exhaust on (old one was slowly rusting away).
And a badger 5 induction pipe on. And a few cheeky holes in the bottom of the airbox.
Fully serviced with genuine parts.

How do Amd rate these days? They’re just down the road from me and Id like a tune as I’m sick of running it heavily modded on stock map waiting till I can get to Rtech.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Oh right, the reason I ask is that it's usually advised to ditch the stock airbox on mapped cars.
Personally I'd have preferred to keep mine but when the map was done by R-Tech for the previous owner it had a different cone filter.
Also the question was asked if the airbox could be kept but was told it would be a restriction when pushing for more power.

Yeh, i dont understand how fitting the cone filter wasnt in improvement either.
Maybe its just one of those things. My car prefers a standard filter.

Got a dogbone from TPS aswell. Fitting that at the weekend.
Been an expensive couple of weeks.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
How do Amd rate these days? They’re just down the road from me and Id like a tune as I’m sick of running it heavily modded on stock map waiting till I can get to Rtech.

I havnt a clue. Id never heard of them before i got this car.
Im happy with their work though lol

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I havnt a clue. Id never heard of them before i got this car.
Im happy with their work though lol

Everyone online sings their praises but my mechanic said they were shite. I’d be keep to know peoples candid opinions on them and their level of work.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Over the years I've read a plethora of very varied reviews and opinions on AMD maps.
Some raving about them...others absolutely slating them so guess it's down to personal experience and what you want from the map exactly?

I think the only guys that immediately spring to mind that you really hear consistently good words on when it comes to 1.8T tuning are of R-Tech, Badger 5 & Devil Developments.

Reactions: Connor H

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Originally I wanted an AMD map [12 years back ]
Then more and more was put off by people popping up with slightly dodgy figures claimed on their printouts and some with maps that were not so healthy for their engines etc.
It took time but in the end I wrote them off.
Did more research then,
Took my car to. Bill and co @Badger5
Long old drive but well worth every mile.
Real tuning with passion and care has resulted in a safe map with smooth delivery through the revs.
Good figures too.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Originally I wanted an AMD map [12 years back ]
Then more and more was put off by people popping up with slightly dodgy figures claimed on their printouts and some with maps that were not so healthy for their engines etc.
It took time but in the end I wrote them off.
Did more research then,
Took my car to. Bill and co @Badger5
Long old drive but well worth every mile.
Real tuning with passion and care has resulted in a safe map with smooth delivery through the revs.
Good figures too.

Late reply but i compared badger 5's prices vs Rtech and they're about 100 quid cheaper and an hour closer, made up my mind on where i'll be taking it.