soft brake pedal, already bled

critch4

Ibiza GTi 16v Cupra Sport
Aug 20, 2009
Newcastle
Hi guys, ever since i had my clutch cable changed about 4 months ago my brake pedal has been really soft, when you push it hard it hits the floor (it was still pretty soft before the cable change but never hit the floor). I have recently had 3 new calipers and new discs/pads all round and the system is all fully bled but this has made no difference to the pedal travel, the brakes themselves are fine though. Any ideas on what i can do to get a firmer pedal with less travel? Cheers

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I don't know about the Ibiza's directly, but by any chance does your clutch share the brake fluid like some other VAG engines do? I know that some cars need the clutch bled as well as the brakes to get everything working.

I apologise if this doesn't apply to the Ibiza's though.

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
If it's a cable operated clutch, then it shouldn't have anything to do with the brake-fluid reservoir...

It's only hydraulic clutches that use the brake fluid reservoir.

I' can't remember which one the 16v is..... but from the OP's post, I would suggest it's cable.

critch4

Aug 20, 2009
Newcastle
yea the clutch is a self adjusting cable, so shouldn't have anything to do with the brake pedal, so its a bit wierd

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
Braided hoses *may* give a firmer pedal depending on quality of hoses and that of all other components, but they certainly aren't a good fix for a system that's underperforming in the first place.

Cheeky question, but what are you judging pedal feel against? Only asking cos pugs used to get slated against clios for pedal feel when the actual brakes were just as good, just set to 'feel' different. What I'm getting at is: do you have an A1 factory spec system that you'd like to improve/alter beyond/away from original spec, or do you actually have a problem? Is it possible to judge your pedal against another otherwise identical car, or maybe ask someone else to try it? Come on, feel me brakes... you know you want to... ;)

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
reread op, ok so the pedal's much worse than it was, you have a problem. If you aren't losing fluid, in which case unions, flexis, master cylinder etc would be good bets; what about your manifold vacuum or servo diaphragm? Assuming the pedal linkage is right... I'd check the vacuum first, I think...

critch4

Aug 20, 2009
Newcastle
Thanks for the reply, its given me a few things to look at that i didnt know about (im not a mechanic or anything, just like to fiddle around at the weekends). The brakes themselves are performing fine and stand the car on its nose well before the pedal hits the floor, its just the extra travel after that im wanting to get rid of, it really feels like its got air in it even though its fully bled :shrug:. ill take a look at the things you've suggested, cheers!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members