solid v liquid wax

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Is it really worth all the extra effort applying the solid stuff instead of a liquid? Or can they be used in conjunction?

For example, I've applied Mothers Carnauba Gold to my bonnet and front wings today (so if it rains it's my fault) and zymol liquid to the rest of the car - can't really see a huge lot of difference - they both claim to be cleaner waxes...

Is it a question of durability? Confuzzled.:shrug:

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
No, mate, i find the harder waxes, take a little more effort to apply, but I have Natty's Blue, and i'd apply it to my face, because its lush.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The wax I'm using at the moment is a hard wax by Simonez (spelling?) which was a bit of a bitch to apply, but lasts and lasts and lasts. Even after a good couple of wet months going on the motorway each day, water beads still formed perfectly and evenly all over the car. It was an honest 3 months before I noticed it was at the point where it needed to be done again.

Washing the car in between those times was a doddle too, everything just slid right off!

I've used loads of different 'high street' brands before and this has by far beat the lot of them. Well worth the extra effort :)

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
how much are hard waxes ?? and what ones are good, i use a carnumba (sp) liquid wax, and would like something a bit more durable

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
A hard wax shouldn't be any more difficult to apply - in fact I'd say its easier because using a foam applicator (like the round yellow Megs ones), you get a really thin even layer of product on the car which will cure and be easy to buff off - exactly what you want because any more will be a waste.

If you're looking for a long lasting wax, Collinite 476s can't really be beaten. Reapply every 3-4 months and you'll have a constant layer of protection on there.

Most liquid waxes (like Zymol, Megs Gold Class etc) have cleaners in them, so remove whatever is aready on there. This means you don't build up layers, you only have one at a time on there. It also means using a glaze or a sealant first is pointless because it would be removed. Not so with a hard wax, it means you can use and get the benefits of all the products.

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
That's exactly what I used - it was easier to apply than a liquid wax and got more even coverage.

Buffing it - well that was a different matter.

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
A hard wax shouldn't be any more difficult to apply - in fact I'd say its easier because using a foam applicator (like the round yellow Megs ones), you get a really thin even layer of product on the car which will cure and be easy to buff off - exactly what you want because any more will be a waste.

If you're looking for a long lasting wax, Collinite 476s can't really be beaten. Reapply every 3-4 months and you'll have a constant layer of protection on there.

Most liquid waxes (like Zymol, Megs Gold Class etc) have cleaners in them, so remove whatever is aready on there. This means you don't build up layers, you only have one at a time on there. It also means using a glaze or a sealant first is pointless because it would be removed. Not so with a hard wax, it means you can use and get the benefits of all the products.

i have heard that Victoria Concours is a great wax too. how long would a 3oz pot last ? also i clean my car every 2 weeks, would i need to reapply the wax every 2 weeks or every month, and would washing the car remove the wax already on the car ?

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Lard - you put it on too thick, simple as that. Put the applicator in the tin, give it a twist with light pressure, then work that into the panel. As a guide, that amount of wax should do nearly whole door, or a 1/3 of a bonnet and you'll only just about be able to see where you've been. If yo ucan stand back and see the wax caked on, thats your problem.

Adam - Not sure on Victoria's durability exactly, but I understand it to be pretty good. If you re-applied the wax every month thats more than enough, personally I'm quite sure that every other month is still more than enough. If you are using a decent shampoo at the correct concentration then you shouldn't be having a negative effect on the wax on the car. Not sure on how long 3oz's would last - 8-10 applications at rough estimate.

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Adam - Not sure on Victoria's durability exactly, but I understand it to be pretty good. If you re-applied the wax every month thats more than enough, personally I'm quite sure that every other month is still more than enough. If you are using a decent shampoo at the correct concentration then you shouldn't be having a negative effect on the wax on the car. Not sure on how long 3oz's would last - 8-10 applications at rough estimate.

thanks Reg. i use SSF and a karcher foam lance, then two bucket method, with some megs gold shampoo /conditioner, every month i use SRP then wax. probably total over kill, but hey.

on another note i was going to phone you up for a detail but my stupid car has decided it needs all next month insurance and 2 new front tires costing alot more than i had thought. insurance it 710 and the two fronters are around 180 so thats 890 out of my 830 a month pay packet.... ouch :cry::cry::cry:

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Lard - you put it on too thick, simple as that. Put the applicator in the tin, give it a twist with light pressure, then work that into the panel. As a guide, that amount of wax should do nearly whole door, or a 1/3 of a bonnet and you'll only just about be able to see where you've been. If yo ucan stand back and see the wax caked on, thats your problem..

Ah you're right - I kept dabbing it and dabbing it like half a dozen times for each panel, no wonder my arm hurt this morning- :lol:

jonnie5

Seat Leon FR+
Mar 14, 2007
Rosyth
I only ever used cleaner liquid waxes before and was quite please. I know have been on a few detailing sites and took a back seat learning. I now use poorboys for ease of use, and it does exactly what it say easy to apply. I bought Nattys red and use it with a damp aplicator and it goes on like melted butter. And if you just do a panal at a time, and not let it bake on the it comes of real easy. Real deep wet glossy look. And Its beading superb still 6 weeks later. I used 2 coats of the EX-P sealant before hand.

15.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited: