Some findings about cornering lights with led

RuivoM

Dec 21, 2019
Hi,

I’ve replaced my halogen fog lights with led (novasight with no canbus error) and they work great without any mod and enabled the cornering lights with Obdeleven.

But, what I noticed immediately, is that they turn on instantaneously (no fade in) but they will fade out (even so quickly) with the halogen setting.

So then just to make it more “correct” wise settings speaking, I switched to led bulbs in the Obdeleven as well and the Dimmwert from 100 to 127. Surprisingly, I stopped having fade out as well with this setting, but keeping with 100 (and led bulb set) would still give me a fade out.

I’m just trying to figure what’s happening here. Having 100 or 127 shouldn’t have any impact on fade out the light. And is there any way to enable fade in as well?

Does stock cornering with led fog lights light up and off without fading?

Thank you!

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Hi,

I’ve replaced my halogen fog lights with led (novasight with no canbus error) and they work great without any mod and enabled the cornering lights with Obdeleven.

But, what I noticed immediately, is that they turn on instantaneously (no fade in) but they will fade out (even so quickly) with the halogen setting.

So then just to make it more “correct” wise settings speaking, I switched to led bulbs in the Obdeleven as well and the Dimmwert from 100 to 127. Surprisingly, I stopped having fade out as well with this setting, but keeping with 100 (and led bulb set) would still give me a fade out.

I’m just trying to figure what’s happening here. Having 100 or 127 shouldn’t have any impact on fade out the light. And is there any way to enable fade in as well?

Does stock cornering with led fog lights light up and off without fading?

Thank you!
I had a 2019 leon following me yesterday and noticed they had LED cornering lights, they came on and off instantly with no “fade” as they’re LED they light up quicker. Like when you flash your high beams; with halogens it fades but led its an instant flash.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
One of the safety benefits with LED bulb/lights is that they switch on and off with no warm up and cool down time. If an LED bulb/light is fading out, then with a small low powered type, it should only be due to residual voltage in its drive circuit as the LED chip will also switch ON/OFF with no fade.

RuivoM

Dec 21, 2019
I see and that makes sense, however, what’s the relation between the settings?

Having the bulb set as led with Dimmwert of 100 will make it fade out but not fade in.

Using 127, will provide the on/off instantaneously.

Also, there’s a setting to set the fade out speed (so it seems) which by default is set to 127.5% /s só somewhat looks like a feature and not a lamp restriction (if set to 250% on halogen I believe they’ll turn on/off immediately as well).

Nevertheless, somewhat, I like the fading behavior.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I can't comment on "Dimmwert" but now that you have mentioned it, I have noticed that they fade off - which is probably deliberate when they are being used as a supplementary/corning light while the main headlights are being used.

Maybe slightly ironic that LED are listed as adding to safety when used as brake lights, ie instant response, then that natural feature needs to be "got rid of" when using LEDs as cornering lights.

RuivoM

Dec 21, 2019
@RUM4ANO well, in fact, it turns out that you can manipulate the fade out effect with obdeleven by setting the Dimmwert to 100 or removing the fade out by setting to 127. So, either way, it will work.

Just wondering what ideal setting should I pick to prevent long term bulb wear or/and which settings come by default for those 2019 models that came with led fog lights/cornering.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
With LEDs pick any value you like that works. They don't so much wear out as just suddenly fail (usually after many years).

Jan 8, 2020
United Kingdom
I had a 2019 leon following me yesterday and noticed they had LED cornering lights, they came on and off instantly with no “fade” as they’re LED they light up quicker. Like when you flash your high beams; with halogens it fades but led its an instant flash.

I bought a 2019 Leon last night and on the drive home was a bit surprised by the cornering lights coming on and off! They don't fade, they are instant.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I see and that makes sense, however, what’s the relation between the settings?

Dimmwert roughly translates to ‘Dim Value’ aka brightness setting of the bulb. This is far more obvious when you are changing the rear plate bulbs to LEDs on other VAG cars.

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Would anybody be kind enough to link the bulbs if they work without errors.
There is so much rubbish out there with Led bulbs that claim to be can bus safe.
Thanks guys.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
One thing to not lose sight of is, yellow light has been found to be more effective as a way to improve visibility in foggy conditions.

Now maybe few of us end up driving in proper dense fog, but when/if you do, you will see further ahead if the light output is yellow, this will be why France for years insisted with yellow light output bulbs for foglights.

I certainly agree that these whiter filament bulbs and LED bulbs look a lot better and will be more useful when used as cornering lights, but just remember what colour of light has been proved to be better in dense fog conditions.

I've never ever changed any foglight bulbs so far, to whiter light output devices even although the filament bulbs looks rather nasty when viewed against the car's either "plus" filament bubs, HIDs or LED headlights.

I've driven in dense fog a few times a year and it is not easy or good even with normal filament bulbs, I might even try proper foglight bulbs or LEDs sometime (probably not, just all talk!).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.