Something dodgy about this? Or am i paranoid?

v1kkm

In need of some details on a car I went to see yesterday. Here is the link:

h t t p: / / w . w . w . ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-SEAT-IBIZA-FR-T-BLACK-244bhp-modifided-not-golf-type-r-cupra-s3-m3-evo-vrs/171350253209?_trksid=p5197.c100068.m2280&_trkparms=aid%3D222006%26algo%3DSIC.FITP%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140205155511%26meid%3D7891554536818863705%26pid%3D100068%26prg%3D20140205155511%26rkt%3D6%26clkid%3D7891557701803779641&_qi=RTM1793693

I know it’s done a few rounds on this forum hence I’m asking. I spoke to the seller who informed me to go to bath to view it, some questions asked over the phone:

Has the car got FSH? If so is the book fully stamped.
Yes

Is the car MOT’d and TAXED and when until?
MOT 11 Months
Tax 5 days

How long have you owned the car?
About 14 months

Are you a trader?
No

Is there any scratches/dents or issues mechanically or externally?
No, I was told the car was “mint” without a scratch on it and it was running without any problems what so ever.

So, I negotiated to go and see it, I was told that I would have to go to an address in Bath. This was weird? The car advert shows a location that’s not Bath but close enough.

We turned up there after a 2 and half hour drive, we saw the car in an abandoned car park behind a pub and called the “owner”.

First glance: *The car seemed to have a decal on the boot “pro diesel tuning” – this wasn’t in the pictures.
*The car had a scratch on the back bumper, about 5 inches long, had another scratch on the boot about the size of a 10p coin.
*Cracked number plate on front
*Rear number plate bulb was out

Went for a drive next, he took me down a 30 road and floored it, I won’t mention the speed but he was ragging the absolute sh!t out of the car and then mentioned he did double the national speed on the motorway the other day… great selling point?

Got back to the car park and started to hear the springs knocking on the front, he mentioned he had it looked at but couldn’t find the cause. Also noted that the exhaust was slightly loose. He mentioned something about a decat on it at this point.

Anyways, over to the paperwork. At a glance I noticed there was receipts, that was good. There was a service stamp missing, there was previous mot’s, the mileage advertised was 62k however on the dash showed 68k.

This is what got me the most, the v5 logbook only had the one page, the second half was missing. So I asked him again, are you a trader? His response was no. So then I checked the address, which showed an address in Bristol, not in Westbury (ebay) and not in Bath (where we were). At this point 2 and 2 didn’t make 4 anymore, I went on to speak to my friend privately, we came to the conclusion to ask for some ID.

Walked over the the seller again and without asking anything he held out the second part of the v5, with the yellow part missing. I know that yellow part is a traders slip, I asked him if that was his name/address on the v5, he said yes. I then asked him if he can show me proof of address/name, at this point he started to get very nervous and said he doesn’t have anything. We then asked for a bank card/letter/something/anything with his name on, we were told he doesn’t have anything at all and started to get aggressive.

We left.

Does anyone know the recent history of this car?

Brady93

Jan 28, 2014
Worcestershire
I agree with DaFoot; Steer clear!

If he hasn't mentioned the problems that you picked up on then what other problems does it have that you didn't pick up on? Especially if he's been ragging the car and potentially modifying it.

Roffel

Dutch Newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Netherlands
www.teamibiza.net
looking at the scratches on the panel of the fusebox the person wasn't very neat on his car.
It has not the original mesh in the frontbumper which makes me guess it had a front-damage.
If it was my call, I'd stay away from it.
The Alfa wheels are very tight though.

Last edited:

v1kkm

Thanks for the replies! I have steered clear from it just wanted to get an idea if anyone knew directly about this car and it's recent history. And of course if anyones looking at going to view it.

I found this thread: h ttp://w ww.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=321804. This is the same car however not sure if this owner would know anything about it's recent history.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Looking by that thread, it suggests that after Geo, the car may of been smashed...

I agree, looks like it's been crashed, add to that the dodgy seller and the horrendous lack of spelling, grammar and any kind of attention to detail in the advert I would avoid it.
It's such a shame that so often these cars end up with idiots.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members