Sorry - some (stupid) newbie questions regarding sat nav

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Hi all
long time lurker here.
Finally bought a 2019 2.0tsi xcellence plus Leon
it has the navi plus 2017 system.

Dealer lost the sat nav card so bought a new one (V9) but I think there are later ones.
Is it just a case of having to buy a new card or is there a way of downloading and updating? I did a search on the forum and there are multiple posts and threads but I have failed at the first hurdle ( wifes got the car today) as I cant check the model versions etc . dont even know if its a high version or not , and dont really know how to find out either.

Next question is the dreaded speed camera poi alerts. from what I can see there seems to be various ways to do this, looks like there is a free but fiddly way to do it but also a simpler way ( that costs) using scdb. which for the sake of £10 a year seems the best option ( especially since it can display in the digi dash)
would there be any other options?

finally if scbd sorts the speed camera poi, whats the best way of adding other poi to the system ( if it doesnt have any installed already)

Thanks so much in advance

Tivver500

Nov 23, 2019
As a lot of counties have switched off the static speed cameras, and make more use of mobile units, the poi database for cameras is probably not so useful. If you absolutely need that information then use waze on your phone which will give up to date information.....
Or..... stick to the speed limits :unsure:

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Thanks for the reply.....
I really dont want to use waze or google maps but, as per post, want integration to the existing sat nav.
As for not speeding, well we all try but there is the added bonus of, if you know where the cameras are, you can be prepared for the people in front suddenly jumping on their brakes !

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
I bought my mk3 2018 Leon Cupra new. Also have the Navi Plus. There is no card in the card slot in cars with “Plus”, only the ones who have the base version “6P0”.

I haven’t updated the built in navi, much better to use the phone via USB cable, in my case Google maps. Very user friendly! That’s my recommendation despite your wish use the built in version ;)!

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
I'd also recommend plugging your phone in and using Apple maps, Google maps or Waze.
Android auto works nicely in mine, especially with the new tiled screen, you can see a bit of everything or have full screen nav or media.

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
There is a nice official VW branded usb cable available on eBay for about £8, it's just the right length when you phone is in the tray in front of the shifter.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Google Maps is better than the in-built sat-nav & is constantly up-dated at no cost.

I bought a 1/4 metre cable from Amazon for £3.50 & it works fine.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
There is a nice official VW branded usb cable available on eBay for about £8, it's just the right length when you phone is in the tray in front of the shifter.

I have one of those short (30cm?) VW branded usb cables with right angled connector in my car; I asked the salesman for one when I bought my car , so I got it as a freebie.

Agree, it is just the right length so avoids having miles of unsightly cable trailing everywhere. It seems to be good quality too; 32 months on and I don’t have any connection issues can sometimes happen with these usb cables.

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
I bought my mk3 2018 Leon Cupra new. Also have the Navi Plus. There is no card in the card slot in cars with “Plus”, only the ones who have the base version “6P0”.

I haven’t updated the built in navi, much better to use the phone via USB cable, in my case Google maps. Very user friendly! That’s my recommendation despite your wish use the built in version ;)!
Thats confusing me as I am sure I have the plus- have some sort of wlan option in the memory, but it definitely needs a sd card

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
I appreciate that the phone option is better but, at the moment i like to have the directions on the centre of the dash, which I dont believe you can do with a phone?

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Centre of the dash - To be clear, I use the built in display via "Android auto". You can use Iphone to. Have activated this on all our cars VW/Skoda/Seat.
The directions in words on the dash between the speed/ rev counter i don't use.

In any case you can do a test, easy done!

Last edited:

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
This is how i looks in my VW Golf Alltrack 2018.
Pick from today.

Attachments

• 20230430_134124.jpg
    20230430_134124.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 84

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
Go via "App" (perhaps not exactly the same on Seat) as you can see on the pick no1, pick no 2 texts in Swedish :)...... says connet a unit via usb.

(Seat Leon/VW Golf 2018 both with mib2 similar layout but with some differences)

Attachments

• 20230430_134750.jpg
    20230430_134750.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230430_134236.jpg
    20230430_134236.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021

JUs checked and it is indeed the 6PO version.

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
I appreciate that the phone option is better but, at the moment i like to have the directions on the centre of the dash, which I dont believe you can do with a phone?
You are correct fella

You can have google maps on the main centre screen using android auto (ie on the radio screen)

However you cannot have the map in the centre of your virtual cockpit screen if you are using navigation on your phone the MIB system completely disables it. This royally annoys me as I use google to plan and navigate my routes, then the map in the centre of the dash to warn me what is coming up like a pace note so i dont die..

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
Centre of the dash - To be clear, I use the built in display via "Android auto". You can use Iphone to. Have activated this on all our cars VW/Skoda/Seat.
The directions in words on the dash between the speed/ rev counter i don't use.

In any case you can do a test, easy done!
Its the directions between the speed/ rev that I like.

On reading various posts on updating the maps it says to check the nav version something like 1910 being the latest.
Mine is an older version but I am not sure how to update that version. I thought the seat connect app would work but its not compatible with my car.

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
jus realised that 1910 is the map, the actual"update for the programme is done via mib2 updates.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.