Sound actuator

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
I might try and find the correct loom plugs so I can splice in an on/off switch.
I'm not overly annoyed with the soundaktor at all as it sounds like induction noise, but at least it gives me the option to quickly switch it on and off at will.

Smiddy

Sep 19, 2016
Somerset, UK
Finally decided to unplug the sound actuator today. Easy job and took 2 minutes. It's in the middle of the scuttle where the passenger side wiper is attached. Not much room to get your hands in there though.

Gotta say it's nice to be able to put it in Cupra mode without that ridiculous rattle! Plus you can actually hear the exhaust note and the pops and crackles properly now. I would highly recommend it to anyone fed up of the sound actuator. No tools required either.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6WOTw_lIoKw

The link above is spot on.

I have been driving around with the back seats down today so I can hear the exhaust. My missus told me to grow up. She is probably right.;)

Anyway, still loving the Cupra's performance, and I tend to get bored very quickly with cars. This one is a keeper, with no issues in 14k miles. Famous last words lol

Thanks for that mate, i've only done 1200 miles in mine and i want to unplug it :) a job for today.

Hogey

Jul 6, 2016
Am I alone in thinking the sound in sport mode is more annoying than when in Cupra?

I'm sure sport mode is quieter but it sounds completely fake

Smiddy

Sep 19, 2016
Somerset, UK
Am I alone in thinking the sound in sport mode is more annoying than when in Cupra?

I'm sure sport mode is quieter but it sounds completely fake

I only used sports mode once and thought it was actually a bit better because it was quieter, yesterday i unplugged the sound actuator though and now no more annoying drowning noise when its in Cupra mode.

On the other hand though the ST is now just a bit too quiet.

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
Is the actuator nearer to the driver's wiper attachment or the passenger's? I think I've seen both possibilities mentioned in posts, and I really don't want to mess this up!
I may have other questions before I take the plunge, so please be patient with me.
Thanks.

Smiddy

Sep 19, 2016
Somerset, UK
Is the actuator nearer to the driver's wiper attachment or the passenger's? I think I've seen both possibilities mentioned in posts, and I really don't want to mess this up!
I may have other questions before I take the plunge, so please be patient with me.
Thanks.

Yes mate, if you are stood infront of the car its on the far left (drivers side) open the bonnet and look through the grill at the bottom of the windscreen and you will see it, I have put a link below to a picture someone posted of it.

http://imgur.com/yWrauCO

Just need to unplug it and tape up the ends so they dont get wet.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
On my 290 the soundaktor is in the middle where the passenger side wiper is attached. It is a very tight squeeze to get your hand in! On 280s I think it may be on the drivers side (so left as looking at engine) it was exactly where the video I posted at start of this link was.

I'm so glad I disconnected the damn thing. :lol:

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
I removed the 3 clips holding the plastic scuttle and raised it to have a look. I saw what I thought was the actuator but I couldn't really see or feel the connector so I've put the clips back and basically chickened out of trying to disconnect it at all. I'm too nervous about messing up something on an eight month old car. I might tackle it again when the car is out of warranty.

Hogey

Jul 6, 2016
Yes mate, if you are stood infront of the car its on the far left (drivers side) open the bonnet and look through the grill at the bottom of the windscreen and you will see it, I have put a link below to a picture someone posted of it.

http://imgur.com/yWrauCO

Just need to unplug it and tape up the ends so they dont get wet.

Thanks for this picture - after 20 mins of messing about & ripping my hands to pieces looking for a plug where the YouTube video suggests I realised it was staring me in the face through the little grille :rolleyes:

That's on a 66 plate 5 door Cupra 290 BE. Only had a quick drive but I think this is more enjoyable than the pumped in noise

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
Many thanks to Smiddy and others for the excellent help/advice.

Just disconnected it and went for a short drive. So pleased I persevered. What an improvement! I'll probably use Cupra mode more often now.

This forum is obviously the place to visit for informed advice on matters SEAT.

Reactions: MifSal