Spare key won't start car

rayhpool

i or someone at home has misplaced my key ,so car is on drive ,but when i have gone to use the spare key alarm goes off and car won't start any suggestions .

If it's like my old Golf (which it might be, being VAG), you need to make sure you engage the key in the ignition pretty quickly after manually unlocking and opening the car, otherwise it won't work.

Also, I'm sure I read that the keys (even the non-flip spares) have some kind of transponder/electronics in them... so copies cut from the spare using a traditional key cutter service won't disable the alarm properly even if the physical key bit is absolutely identical to the original. Not sure how accurate that info is as I can't remember where/when I read it, sorry!

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Unlock with key, get in, shut door and start engine. Must be done within 30 seconds I believe.

Mike H

Have the same issue at the moment. The spare (non fob) key supplied with the car will open the door and fire the engine (within 15 secs) without triggering the alarm, BUT the word SAFE appears in the instrument display and the engine won't run for more than 5 seconds or so.

The dealer have said the key needs re-programming, but as they need the car and all the keys to do it, it will have to wait until the next service. Fortunately I have two fobbed keys...

rayhpool

now found out needa new key ,cost £223.00 which seems a wee bit expensive
:cry:

May 10, 2023
I hopped into mine one day.. started everything as quick as possible. Put my foot on clutch and brake at same time then turned key and it started. Doesn’t always though

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members