Spare wheel for ST

champ222

Mar 4, 2019
Hi All

Im looking to getting a spare wheel for the Leon ST. It seems, from reading around and measuring the space available, that a full size wheel will fit. This actually works out quite well. I have the 16" wheels, one of which has a cheapo budget tyre that the dealer fitted before i collected it (morons). So i could get another wheel, put a decent tyre on, and use this one as a spare.

I'll still need a jack though, ideally with the foam that can fit inside the full size wheel, alloy in this case rather than steel.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this plan? Or can suggest a car from which the jack and foam would fit nicely in the wheel? I assume many VAG cars use the same Jacks?

I could live without the foam and just wrap the jack and bits in a blanket and put it in the wheel. It would be nice to keep it tidy though.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Sep 28, 2020
I picked up a space saver on eBay with Jack and tools for £30 just had to cut the thread down on the spindle sticking out of the floor by a couple of inches so it sat perfectly.

champ222

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks, that was a good deal.

Since i dont have a spare at all, and a full size one will fit, it makes sense to me to get a full size alloy as a spare.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I went with a space saver for my ST as it leaves a lot of room under the floor to put things. I don't know if a full size spare will allow you to have the boot floor in the low position?

I bought a jack and wheel brace separately and keep these in the boot with the wheel.

All did the job when I unfortunately got a flat a while back.

6.jpg

IMG_20200310_181947.jpg

DSC_0062.JPG

champ222

Mar 4, 2019
Yeah, by my measurements, a full size will fit with the boot in the lower position. It will fill the space, but should have some space in the wheel.

Swaitsy

Aug 1, 2021
Darkest Struan
Apologies for reviving the thread, just a quick query on space saver wheels rather than starting a whole new one. I'm looking at one for £35 online, code 1K0601027AQ. I see from Bendy's post the 5Q0601027AR wheels are the right fitment. Anyone know if this one's the same?

champ222

Mar 4, 2019
I went with a full size spare in the end for my st. Few weeks after that i had a puncture, so i was quite pleased id actually got around to doing it.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Swaitsy

Aug 1, 2021
Darkest Struan
I hear yi. Originally my ST just had the foam but I decided to get a spare after running over a nail on the motorway outside Perth and bursting a rear tyre, at speed. That was interesting..

I've actually got a full size spare for it, granted it fits in the boot fine. But I was looking for a space saver as it takes up less space and is a bit lighter. I carry a lot of crap in that underfloor compartment 🤣

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Apologies for reviving the thread, just a quick query on space saver wheels rather than starting a whole new one. I'm looking at one for £35 online, code 1K0601027AQ. I see from Bendy's post the 5Q0601027AR wheels are the right fitment. Anyone know if this one's the same?
Hi mate, no idea on the different part numbers. I bought mine from eBay brand new, I think it was advertised as fitting a Seat Leon, Audi A3, VW Golf etc. As far as I am aware, as long as the wheel bolt holes are all the same spacing apart and fitment, it should fit. No idea why there are so many part numbers! I guess maybe if you went to a main dealer, they would have a space saver for every model of car with a different part number. I can confirm obviously that mine fits though and was fine whilst driving on it.

Swaitsy

Aug 1, 2021
Darkest Struan
Cheers for the details pal. Aye I know what you mean, there seems to be a heap of different code numbers for them so I was unsure which were suitable. I believe as long as the pcd is 112mm it'll fit fine but the lad only had the wheel code up. I messaged them, seems a reputable seller, says it'll be fine so for £30 I decided to take a punt.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
That part number should be fine, mine is 1K0601027B 18", 3 1/2J, ET25.5 :)

Swaitsy

Aug 1, 2021
Darkest Struan
That part number should be fine, mine is 1K0601027B 18", 3 1/2J, ET25.5 :)
Ah, nice one cheers. I suspected it would be fine but I thought I'd get a second opinion before getting the wallet out. Got the full ST spare wheel kit and foam insert too for £60, so thats the space saver kit complete for under a hundred. 👍🏻

Reactions: Walone

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've put spare wheels in two Leon STs. In both cases a full sized wheel of the same type as on the car. On the last car it did get used and it's great to just swap the wheel over and carry on as normal instead of being limited in range, speed and having the handling of the car compromised. Also remember that you're not supposed to put a space saver on the driven wheels. You see lots of people doing it but I doubt it's very good for the differential.

Seat do not sell a tool kit for the spare wheel, but Skoda do! There are a couple of different kinds so you'll get one that fits inside the wheel whatever the wheel size. The well in the floor takes a low-profile tyre so you can use a full-sized spare whatever the model of car you have. Considering the only difference in cost between running a space saver and a full sized wheel is the cost of the wheel itself I think it's a no brainer.

Swaitsy

Aug 1, 2021
Darkest Struan
Agreed, you should be replacing the punctured tyre with a full size one on the driven wheels rather than a space saver. That can mean swapping a wheel with one on the other end and replacing that one with the space saver. Admittedly a bit of a faff when you can just chuck a full size spare on in place of the puncture and be done with it. Space savers are a temporary fix, as is the foam that came with with car when I bought it.

I've had both types of spare wheel in numerous cars over the years but I've only had to deal with roadside punctures a handful of times. Lucky I guess, not bad for 20 odd years on the road. I had my last car 3 years and it always had a space saver. In the case of both I've more or less gone and got the puncture repaired that day, I find using the space saver better prompts me to go sort the puncture out quickly. I've seen myself sticking a full size wheel on before and then leaving it, sometimes for months before sorting the punctured one out, driving about with the spare on and no spare in the boot. Laziness. Procrastination. Foolishness. A combination of all three maybe.

Reactions: Mr Pig
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.