Spark Plugs & Oil change

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
Hiya guys, im about to fully service my 03 plate Cupra. Can anyone recommend a good set of spark plugs and oil?
With regards to the spark plugs i've heard that the Iridium power Denso IK22s are quite good and that the Castrol 040 oil is the best for performance? Any recommendations would be highly appreciated. Im sure this has cropped up a few times elsewhere so apologies in advance if im repeating an already common thread.

Thanks in advance guys, look forward to hearing from you.

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
Sorry guys, correction, ive just checked on the denso website. The recommended iridium spark plugs for the leon cupras are IK20s not IK22s. Has anyone purchased a set of these and if so what are they like?

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
id go ngk iridiums which are have been really good so far on my car which made well over stock power and torque when RR'd - not really down to these but i like to think they are as good as you can get. check the castrol site for oil i believe it is edge 5w30 not 40

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
aah cheers guys, thanks a lot! vwbassett, where did you purchase your ngk's from & r they the ngk bkr7e that james mentioned? Thanks guys.

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
Hi james, ive just checked out the ngk bkr7e spark plugs, am i right in beleiving there not iridium plugs? Im after a good set of iridiums. Anybody tried out the Denso IK20s? Another thing ive just found out is the fact that because my cars been mapped the IK20s wont be right for my car. aaargh im so confused.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Nope not B... but something like pkfr6 - got them at euro car parts they are expensive abotu £35-40 but being iridium there is the reduced need to change them and theres that hoped increase in efficiency, burn etc

evokid

Aug 28, 2009
Hi sorry to hijack thread, do the NGK bpr7e plugs fit the AUQ cupra engine also? Only asking as went to Halfrauds to see what could order, they had something like NGK pfr6q for my vehicle (leon cupra turbo 1.8 2001) and the std bosch super 4 and super plus?

They wanted 5.19 per plug for the pfr6q plugs :(

any help advice greatly taken :D

Last edited:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I have no idea about part numbers mate I just asked for the genuine ones and you get a choice between the cheap ones or the platnium ones.

lfc4life786

Oct 2, 2009
lol im still confused. I think im jus gona go with what vwbasset recommended & thats going to euro car parts n getting the ngk iridiums for around 40 quid. U cant go wrong really!

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Standard fit plugs do the job just as good as others, the myth about sparkplugs doing this and this is really a sales ploy and most fall for it. Unless your runing a tuned engine, OEM plugs are perfect, as said on a remapped engine or tuned, go a heat range colder. If your just doing low milage or town driving there going to get coked up anyway so expensive plugs arent really doing much.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise