Spec clutches and flywheels

CrossyR

Hi, Im Ron Burgundy
Sep 13, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Anybody running one in their TDI? Been pricing one up in the states and they are a hell of alot cheaper than the Sach items over here.

If so, what setups are people using? Happy with them etc?

Crossy

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Running Spec stage 3+ with their 9lb alum flywheel. Got it when it was $2:£1, so it only cost me £600 - proper bargain. I have yet to get close to the 600 lb/ft rating. Sure, the flywheel rattles in neutral with the clutch out, and the clutch can stick a little in traffic, but then it's a performance clutch not designed for stop/start but for use on the track (where it is DAMN awesome!)

CrossyR

Hi, Im Ron Burgundy
Sep 13, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Ah, nice one! aye, ive been pricing up clutch kits over here with SMF's and its near to 1k! I was only looking at the stage 2 kit for 411ftlbs iirc. Im guessing the steel flywheel wont rattle as much with it being abit heavier?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Why do you want a SMF if your car is only running 313 lb torque ? Even if you intend fitting a hybrid turbo i would still stick with a DMF on a 400 lb torque car. SMF rattle like hell, hate the bloody things.

CrossyR

Hi, Im Ron Burgundy
Sep 13, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Why do you want a SMF if your car is only running 313 lb torque ? Even if you intend fitting a hybrid turbo i would still stick with a DMF on a 400 lb torque car. SMF rattle like hell, hate the bloody things.

Ive just heard SMF are more reliable for big torque cars than DMF. Yeah, im planning on going hybrid. First step was the clutch then exhaust and FMIC. Followed by the turbo and map. So a DMF should be fine for 400ftlb?

What clutches are compatable then with a OEM DMF?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Ive just heard SMF are more reliable for big torque cars than DMF. Yeah, im planning on going hybrid. First step was the clutch then exhaust and FMIC. Followed by the turbo and map. So a DMF should be fine for 400ftlb?

A SMF is more realiable because it is a solid piece of metal, there is nothing to go wrong as no moving parts etc. A SMF will rattle a lot when the clutch is out and in neutral which can become a real pain in the ass to live with. The choice is yours at the end of the day and most tuning companies will tell you to buy a SMF just to cover their own ass if nothing else as like stated nothing can go wrong with it but weather it`s the best part to use on a road car is another thing. Sachs make clutches that fit to the DMF and are rated at about 405lb torque which is what most people use and are very good as is Sachs customer services.

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales

get the clutch last (if your standard works ok) you may find you get a fair bit of mileage out of it before it goes. spend when u need too,

id recommend sachs all the time.

specs customer service is rubbish, to be kind

georgebibizafr

Apr 12, 2009
Cheshire uk.
What does everyone think about helix clutch setup, been qouted 736+vat for kit including SMF ,friction disc, cover plate, and release bearing, and capable of handling 350 lbs ft of torque,

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
do a google for "competition braking products" they deal with sachs direct. I'm sure its arount the same price, but the sachs is over 400 lbft. i think smf is a waste of time unless you have bonkers torque. I'm running 390 on a dmf sachs setup, and it's great, feels like a heavy oem tbh

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Helix are very good, i used them on my last car. Helix under rate their clutch torque to cover their ass from warrenty claims. I don`t like SMF though so would stick to a DMF if i was you.

georgebibizafr

Apr 12, 2009
Cheshire uk.
So just use the standard DMF already fitted? The helix kit with SMF is only slightly more expensive than the Sachs kit without SMF? so wouldnt I be better with SMF, or is it just overkill?, i just dont want to have to buy one later down the line if DMF does give up, also bear in mind my car is coming upto 100,000 miles, although I must say there is no sign of clutch slip at all or unwelcome noises, so untill its in pieces wont know what condition it is in. thanks for help, i havent got enough money yet anyway! but just working it all out.

michaelg1001

B5 S4 Avant
Jun 24, 2008
Sheffield
"•Kit is good up to 200-275 wheel Horsepower & up to approx 275lbs of wheel torque " Thats a lower torque rating then the standard PD130,150160 clutch.

does it mean the torque at the wheels or at the flywheel? because obviously at the road wheels the torque is going to be much lower than that at the flywheel. quite why theyd state that instead of the torque at the flywheel is beyond me. cos mines puttin out 189.2bhp at the flywheel but 156.5 at the wheels and the torque is probably around 240ft/lb at the wheel compared to 292lb/ft at the flywheel

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.