Sports exhausts, any real gain from cat back?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi
had a service today, exhaust is on it's way out but only after the cat.
Is there any real benefit to non standard pipes without doing down pipe and cat as well?
Budgeting at the moment, so can't spend loads, which will stop me doing full system.

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Yeah only sound and looks really. The OE downpipe is the most restrictive part. Still, you are one step closer to the full system!

JamJay

California Bound
Next Friday I am fitting a DP & Sports Cat onto an OEM system, without a Stage 2 so i'll be posting up in my build thread, any opinions that I might have.

Edit: Just to add that it's going on the RR on the 21st so any changes in performance will be proven :)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Next Friday I am fitting a DP & Sports Cat onto an OEM system, without a Stage 2 so i'll be posting up in my build thread, any opinions that I might have.

Edit: Just to add that it's going on the RR on the 21st so any changes in performance will be proven :)

How much / what system?
I've never liked the twin exhaust on the cupra, and I think I'm right that the cupra has 2" pipe and the R 2.5" so can't interchange.
There isn't a massive choice for the Cupra that I can find.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Can I upgrade from the cat back first and then do dp and cat? Will it fit together if the cat back is 2.5"or 3" but dp and cat still OEM for the time being. Do I need a piece to reduce / increase diameter.
Will do full system in future but back half needs attention for MOT so thought I'd try to upgrade it while I do it. Will it mess will air flow and ECU?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Great news!!
Now to hunt down the right one. Don't want issues with maf and lamda, any surgestions
as to what i can get away with, want some gain from it when I map the car but don't want lots of problems,stuttering etc APR do a 2.5" and a 3" for the LC big difference? I don't know myself.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.