Springs

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Just had a look at EKTA parts for rear springs. There appear to be about 16 zillion different springs for rear altea suspension (about 10 times more for Golf!)
What is the difference between them? Surely some must be the same, you don't need that many different spring rates for the Altea?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Different spring rates for different models. Dependant on model type and weight they'll have different spring rates for each type. Bigger wheels weigh more than smaller wheels so springs will be slightly stiffer to compensate. Altea XL has more weight on the back than the standard Reference, so stiffer again. All sorts of factors make spring requirements differ.

redlockrasta

2007 Altea XL 2.0 TDI Stylance
Mar 31, 2010
Warwickshire
I just broke a front spring going over a pothole, hoping to replace it over the weekend but it looks like rain. Does any one know where I can get another coil spring? I cannot drive it like this. My local spares counter in Stratford upon Avon cannot get hold of one. Altea 2.0 TDI Sport

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
Bear in mind, it's better to replace both sides, as it could affect the handling. It's like renewing one shock absorber or putting one new tyre on with one worn one.

redlockrasta

Mar 31, 2010
Warwickshire
:help: The broken piece was about 120 mm long and from the bottom and I managed to get it out. Apart from the obvious danger, the MOT is due in late May '10 so need to get it sorted. I have been twice quoted £45 only to get a call back to say that it is not possible to order because they havnt started making this pattern part yet.
The Stealers can supply one for £75! and that started me thinking about lowering the car; a full set of lowered springs are between £85 - £180. I live out of town and need to go off road to pass in the lanes so that wouldnt be practical.
:help: What would be really nice is if someone wants to let me have a spring or two from a car that they have just lowered?
The car has a FSH and is due for 80,000 service £300 was the quote, its a great car I just need to spend some money on it.

Last edited:

8MU

Hay Redlockrasta, hows you doing,Im living in sunny Stratford upon Avon as well with a silver 55 plate 2.0 TDI sport ,sorry to hear your woes :(

Where would you be getting your service etc done?? anywhere local:confused:

redlockrasta

Mar 31, 2010
Warwickshire
The car came from Coupres St.Albans and had done 50,000 with a FSH, I have been taking it to G.D.T. Seat in Kenelworth - 01926854931 and from looking at the recipts from the previous owner they are very good on price and know what they are doing as well.
Recent stuff like wheel alinement, CV gaitor and tyres I get done in Stratford, except I had to go to GDT to change the boot lock (seat tool required).
This car has been an amazing in the recent freezing temperatures, I use single track roads and spent 6 months driving to Coventry and Warwick everyday through winter. ESP has been an amazing safety feature.
Has your Altea been good to you?:bounce:

Last edited:

redlockrasta

Mar 31, 2010
Warwickshire
Bad news: contunued to drive on the broken spring for two weeks and it has dropped down but the good news is that I have managed to aquire two 2nd hand front struts from another Altea. I will put both units on at the weekend and then I will have some 2.0 TDI spares should anyone need them; 1x complete strut with spring 2 purple and 3 white stripes, 1x strut (1TO413031EK) (SE351/359VO37) with the broken spring removed [B)]

Last edited:

redlockrasta

Mar 31, 2010
Warwickshire
My 2.0 TDI now has "FR" front suspension and feels the same as before I broke the spring.:) The Shock absorbers have the same part numbers but the coloured stripes on the springs are different; three white stripes so maybe form FSI or FR not really sure, I found these on ebay. It is great now that 2nd hand Altea spares are starting to appear.::D

Last edited:

redlockrasta

Mar 31, 2010
Warwickshire
Still driving my Altea after all these years 116k, on here because both my rear coil springs are in bits and I need to replace as soon as possible, any ideas I tow a caravan and want to use a good make.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise