Squeaking Wiper Blades

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Right, I'm at my wits end over this. A month or so back my wipers were squeaking on my MK2 FR and sticking so I bought a new set (genuine SEAT ones) and had them fitted by the dealership. They were brilliant, not a squeak from anywhere, glided over the screen gracefully and left not even a smear!!!

Now two months on, these have started doing the same only worse!!! They will stick and stutter even when the screen is covered in rain!!!

I have tried everything - I've cleaned the screen with regular car window cleaner, vinegar, AutoGlym glass polish, cleaned the blades with vinegar, glass cleaner etc. But nothing works! I've even tried putting a small amount of WD40 on the blades as suggested in a number of places but makes no difference whatsoever!

I am stuck what to do - I have found myself not even bothering to use my wipers on the motorway now because it's so distracting having them stutter and squeak!!

Has anybody got any other suggestions before I bang my head against a wall!!?!?!?!?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The angle of the blade against the screen could be wrong. If the noise is only in one direction the blades could be leaning too far over in the oposite direction to the direction that makes the noise (I think that makes sense)

To adjust the angle, very slightly twist the wiper arm (not bend it so that it isn't straight) twist it to change the angle that the wiper blade rubs on the screen.

Imagine that the blade flip flops as the wiper changes direction, they/it are flip flopping too far in one direction and not far enough in the other direction.

Another set of new blades will prob cure it for a little while but it gets expensive eh?

Last edited:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
:think: I might have to try that with mine as they were driving me nuts in the rain yesterday.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
The angle of the blade against the screen could be wrong. If the noise is only in one direction the blades could be leaning too far over in the oposite direction to the direction that makes the noise (I think that makes sense)

To adjust the angle, very slightly twist the wiper arm (not bend it so that it isn't straight) twist it to change the angle that the wiper blade rubs on the screen.

Imagine that the blade flip flops as the wiper changes direction, they/it are flip flopping too far in one direction and not far enough in the other direction.

Another set of new blades will prob cure it for a little while but it gets expensive eh?

Cheers, I'll give that a go in the daylight at the weekend. Yes, it certainly does get expensive at 40 quid a bloody pair!!

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
hmmm... I always a bit skeptical about non-oem products. I'm loathed to by a new set though having just shelled out £40 for these!! :(

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
I had this problem with the wipers on my two month old car and last weekend bought a set of Bosch Aerotwin wipers and so far no jumping or stuttering like I was having with the OEM wiper blades they are working just as I would expect :)

I paid £34.00 from Eurocarparts

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I've tried twisting them slightly as suggested above but to no avail! :(

What is confusing me is that they worked fine at first then all of a sudden they have gone terrible!

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
Mine were fine for about a month then they started to act up

I thought it was the rain repellant on the windscreen to begin with but after removing that they still did it so rather than messing on with the dealer just bought the Bosch which are great

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Yeah same problem here. My originals were quiet but smeary replaced with genuine and 1 week later squeak like mad!
It sounds like the windscreen is too clean (like the fairy advert squeaky clean) anyway tried doing screen with vinegar also tried newspaper print but no different, bloady annoying though.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
I put stuff called "Swipe" in my washers. Thge stuff is great, cleans the glass amazingly. When i am away from home and forget to put some in, my wipers are shite, leaving streaks and marks on the window.

Swipe isnt readily availible, my dad gets it through a stockist in his work. But if you have heard of it, or spotted it, get some. One or two cap fulls does the job!

Also, had my old civic for 2 years, and my mother owned it for 3 years previous to me, and we never changed the wipers. Always used swipe.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Yeah, i think thats it! Same logo and "I Like Swipe" slogan!

Will ask my dad where he gets it. Its him who swears by it :p

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Had my cars 20 k service and my wiper blades were changed , since then they have squeaked like a bitch , today driving back to london from nottingham in the rain was like someone scratching down the chalk board with their nails every time the wipers did their pass [:@]

will be contacting the dealers in the morning to sort it out !

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
Thanks to IanG I was able to get my hands on some Bosch Aerotwin wipers as I was having the "streak" problem with the oem wipers. Since changing I can positively say the Bosch Aerotwin are winners. They work perfectly. My good luck i changed them 2 or 3 days before rainy season really began. Day and Night wet weather driving has been improved 10 fold since I put on the Aerotwin. They cost me half the price of the oem wipers the dealers wanted to sell me too.

^^Thanks IanG

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.