Squeaky noise from aux belt.

Rymez2K

Hi folks.
I have just started noticing a rather annoying squeak on my V5 Mk2 Toledo.
This noise seems to be coming from the ribbed auxiliary belt which runs the alternator and ac and p/s. It seems to be intermittent and comes and goes when the car is revved.
Anyone have any thoughts, and anyone know how often these belts should be replaced and what it would cost to have it replaced?
Many thanks
Pete

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
I think I have this problem too, everytime I start my car in morning get a squeaking sound which pretty sure is coming from aux belt. read somewhere that this could be the aux belt tensioner. definately need some expert opinions... ;)

ricothedrummer

Hey all,
I have had this problem on my 1.9tdi se Tolly and had a mech look at whilst I had the cambelt done.
He said he thinks it's a bearing in the altenator that is breaking down and it should go with time.
This seems to be the case as the tensioner started to rattle and squeak as the bearing was moving about and power is being drawn from the altenator to charge the battery.
You might find as you turn on more electronics ie. air conditioning that the noise gets worse.
I know this seems obsurd but the noise has disappeared over time!
Hope this helps. :)

bambaaaa

Feb 23, 2010
dunfermline, scotland
this started to happin with me 2 only when i start it and the heater was left on so i just make sure its off when i start and i can turn it on after its running and all is good

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
Hey all,
I have had this problem on my 1.9tdi se Tolly and had a mech look at whilst I had the cambelt done.
He said he thinks it's a bearing in the altenator that is breaking down and it should go with time.
This seems to be the case as the tensioner started to rattle and squeak as the bearing was moving about and power is being drawn from the altenator to charge the battery.
You might find as you turn on more electronics ie. air conditioning that the noise gets worse.
I know this seems obsurd but the noise has disappeared over time!
Hope this helps. :)

It sounds to me like the mechanic you saw was trying to lift your leg for an alternator, planting the seed in your head if you know what i mean, alot will do that theses days, just be careful and get a couple of people to give you a verdict before you commit.

I have the same problem with my SE 110 TDI too, i'm going to get my friend to have a look, however being from a mechanical background, i'm pretty sure it's a bearing in behind a pully, which one i am yet to find out, but it seems like a pretty common query just like leaking doors, and probably just a VAG wide issue, if it does get worse do persue it though,

Hope this helps.

mcmanley

Had the same noise, was rev related, took it to an independant seat mech, it was the alternator pulley bearing, had it changed noise gone away. £44.84 plus labour.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Iv got this issue now, the likes of WD40 only solve it for a matter of minutes.

General consensus being alternator pulley bearing?

Jimski

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
I think I have this problem too, everytime I start my car in morning get a squeaking sound which pretty sure is coming from aux belt. read somewhere that this could be the aux belt tensioner. definately need some expert opinions... ;)

Same here... Sometimes after a longerish drive though, it does not make that sound...
Does not seem to be revs related. It's just a squeak for 1-2 seconds when starting the car, and then it's gone.

How can one verify if it's the alternator pulley bearing?

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
I had a flashing battery light recently, which caused me to go investigating around the alternator and Aux belt area..

What I noticed was the aux belt was making a noise as the tensioner was vibrating as the aux belt was turning.

I got under the car removed all the plastic under trays and popped the aux belt off using a 15m spanner to release the tensioner. This then gave me limited access to all the pulleys etc, and a quick spin test revelled that the alternator clutch pulley thing was shot, as it was not always catching properly and sometimes spinning without turning the alternator.

After having the alternator pulley changed (pig of a job - another story) the tensioner then ran smoothly on the belt without any noise or vibration.

So, the noise was all down to the clutched Alternator Pulley..

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
I changed the belt........noise went, its now returned however much quieter and only until things warm up.

So.....im guessing i disturbed the alternator pulley when removing and with a tight new belt it was ok, now things have relaxed/settled in, its returned.

Is this an 'easy' job to do, pretty competent with a spanner myself but hate faffing for hours!

Does anyone know a part number for GSF or the like?? Struggling to identify the part for a start!!

Jimski

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members