STD I/C Idea.

Mackers

Part Man, Part Metal
May 17, 2007
Bangor. N.Wales
i been thinking over the past few weeks about putting a CRYO system on the car in front on my STD side mount I/C, jus wondering would i see any power gains, as the passing air (over the cryo pipe and i/c) would be cooled by a fair bit and thus cooling the i/c and the air inside, making it more dense, anyone tried this???

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
This has been discussed many times. Ideas range from using the air conditioning unit, to co2 cylinders, and various other means of cooling but at road speed there's little benefit to be gained due to the fact that the cooling effect isn't strong enough to keep up with the volume of air going through the intercooler.

The best you could hope for is reducing heat soak when the car is stationary, like at traffic lights say, and will benefit from a cool charge air when you boot it away from the lights.

As I remember, a lot of people (in the VW camp) fit the wheel arch liner from the Audi TT as it has a vent system which allows free flow through the intercooler and through into the wheel arch, helping to cool the charge air at higher speeds.

Mackers

Part Man, Part Metal
May 17, 2007
Bangor. N.Wales
anyone else got any thoughts on this, or done it?

but surely if i've got this ice cold tube infront of my I/C, the air passing it, will cool quite a lot, thus cooling the i/c more than normal and makng the air more dense??

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
All that happens is that the air passing it warms the tube up pretty damned quick and the effect is lost. You'd need industrial strength liquid nitrogen or similar to keep up with the job of cooling that much air.

And lots of it aswell.;)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
What's it gonna run off? Don't forget that any minimal cooling / bhp advantage will doubtless be eaten up by the engine having to produce energy to run the cooling system. Either by taking off the drivebelt for the alternator or electrically powered via the alternator. Both of these will consume some engine power.

As an example, the air conditioning system was good for losing about 4mpg when I turned it on in the Bora, just by using the engine to power the compressor. that power wasn't being used for forward motion then so the same would apply to your cryo system. Another (similar) example is the Mercedes SLR Supercharged V8. The supercharger takes 120bhp from the engine just to work.

I'm not trying to stop you doing this, just pointing out what others have already found out when they tried it.

Mackers

Part Man, Part Metal
May 17, 2007
Bangor. N.Wales
the electrical control unit uses 10A, so the useage ain't too bad, the rest of the system i'll plumb in myself and i'll have a co2 cannister under my stereo install.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
I looked into fitting a cryo2 system but after i recieved this email from the makers i now see why it is only used in drag cars.

Dear Michael Underhill,

Our 10 LB tank is expected to last 4-1/2 to 5 minutes on a proper fill regardless what is hooked up to the system. By adding multiple components doesn't affect how much CO2 is being used since it is being split after the solenoid.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me back.

Patrick Stasko

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2007 4:32 PM
To: sales
Subject: Contact form at designengineering.com

Contact Form at DESIGNENGINEERING.COM

Contact Us Form

I am interested in buying a cryo2 system but nobody in England seems to know how long a bottle lasts if i just use the fuel and air intake cooler but not the intercooler sprayer system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.484 / Virus Database: 269.12.9/975 - Release Date: 26/08/2007 21:34

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Would have thought that fitting a decent FMIC would be a more effective approach, you know it'll provide the required cooling and no need to plumb stuff into the cabin or keeping refilling bottles.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise