Stealth Box Help Required

JulianG

Mar 23, 2006
Hi,

I've been looking into getting a stealth box installed in my boot, however I can't afford to pay the price certain companies charge ! :censored:

Therefore I have decided to build it myself :D

Now this is where I help some help..... :doh:

Can anyone that has built themselves a stealth box post pictures / plans of how they built the box ? Things like the dimentions of every part would be fantastic !
I'm happy to be cutting bits of MDF up and sticking them together, I'm just not sure what shape to make the box etc.

Any help would be great !

Cheers

Boolandy

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Have you ever used fibre glass before?

In very basic terms... What you can do is cover the entire area the box is going into (side of boot) with plastic (bin bags or something should do the trick) and tape it into place. Then cover the area with fibreglass so you end up with a shell that's perfectly in tune with the shape of the side of the boot. Make it quite thick if you can for strength, but don't go OTT.

Once you have done that you can remove it from the car as one piece. It should be quite solid and the shape will match the boot perfectly. All you then need to do is put a flat MDF front on to it and screw that into the fibreglass shell. Use a big piece of cardboard or something to get the shape of the MDF front right. Cut it out and make sure it fits well and then use it as a template for the front section.

As I said, this is a very brief description of what's involved but a good way of doing things :)

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
http://www.icecavern.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1822 shows how, but I'll be honest with you, it wont cost you that much less than buying the one from autoacoustics. You seem to be saying they're ripping people off charging the cash they do, but they have to make something out of it.

If you don't have all the materials/tools etc required to work with FG then you're looking at about £100 just for the FG stuff, tin foil, tape, plastic to protect the car. Then you need MDF for the front, FG bridging compound, carpet, spray glue... The list could go on ;)

By all means have a go, but although it's not actually that difficult, fg isn't the easiest of materials, and it's damn messy.

Pete

JulianG

Mar 23, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys :)
I've never used Fibre glass before, and didn't actually realise that this was the best way to do it. I assumed that it would be a case of building an MDF box, just with a tricky back to it ! :doh:

As for autoacoustics, I'm not saying that they are ripping people off and infact I would say that its a fair price for a box of its type. i was just saying that I can not justify spending that sort of money on a box. If I had the money I would be on autoacoustics website right now ordering one ;)

I already have a nice box etc, but wanted to claim back some of my boot space. I was therefore thinking I could knock something up for the price of abit of MDF, Carpet etc. But now I know it'll be more than just that, I think I'll stick to the box I've already got and make do with less boot space.

Cheers again for your help guys :worship:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members