Steering problem

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
Hi all,
I bought a Leon cupra last week and a worrying problem has just surfaced. The missus picks me up from work and when doing a u turn she said it felt like the wheel locked and she was fighting it to straighten the wheels. I had the same happen to me 10 minutes later and I only made a small correction with the wheel to the left and it feels like the power steering has stopped working and you really have to fight to turn the wheels. It was fine on the way home with no issues.
I have a car that will turn right all day long but turning left seems to be a lottery, has anyone come across this before?

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
I'm assuming you've checked the power steering fluid???

At standstill, go hard lock to hard lock. You should hear a change in the steering pump noise. If not then it's probably knackered (assuming fluid it fine of course)

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
Yes, checked the fluid before I posted. I turned the steering lock to lock and the pump noise did change.
Could the aircon cause this to happen as I am sure yesterday was the first time we drove the car with it on.

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Air con saps power from the battery and uses a lot more fuel, if it's only happning when the air on is on then that's were the prob is.

Last edited:

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
Air con saps power from the battery and uses a lot more fuel, if it's only happning when the air on is on then that's were the prob is.

Are both the pump and aircon not belt driven? :shrug:
I am a bit confused as to how that would affect the workings of the power steering pump.

tsotd

Jan 7, 2013
kent
have you had a look in the wheel arches to see if anything is catching the wheels when turning?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Yeh but if the battery isn't giving power to the car then things ain't gonna work 100%, power stearing pump are prone to leaking and going on these cars, check you drop links and tie rods, also your springs

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
If you have one or access to a volt meter then it would be wise to check the battery voltage, if the system is sapping power then you will be able to see if the readings are low.

It could be the battery is past it's prime or the alternator isn't charging.

tsotd

Jan 7, 2013
kent
get the front end of the car off the ground on axel stands and turn the steering wheel full lock one way then the other to see if anything is catching/rubbing you can do it with or without the wheels on, best to keep them on tho so you can see if they are rubbing on anything.

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
I'd suggest checking the air con pump for noise, possibly dodgy bearing putting drag on belt, causing it to slip/ stop temporarily

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
If you have one or access to a volt meter then it would be wise to check the battery voltage, if the system is sapping power then you will be able to see if the readings are low.

It could be the battery is past it's prime or the alternator isn't charging.

no relevance, power steering on these is hydraulic with its own pump driven by aux belt, not electric.

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
Hi, I have checked tie rod ends, springs, drop links, battery and checked for any signs of rubbing (tyres) and all seems ok. Listened for any bearing noise on air con pump and nothing. Checked power steering pump for leaks and it's clean. When the car was stationary and the wheels were turned from lock to lock (bleeding the power steering fluid) the tensioner was vibrating a bit.
Is there a possibility that the belt could be worn and cause the issue with the power steering? Is it worth my while to change the belt and do I replace the tensioner at the same time?

Last edited:

bangerstox10

May 19, 2016
CANTERBURY
Not sure if these have one but what about steering column uj??? Had this issue on a pug partner at work once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
No idea about a universal joint (I take it that's what uj means) will have to have a look. The problem I have is that the issue only occurred when turning left and that it was the first time that the car was run with the aircon on, I do realise that it could be coincidence.

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Air con does sap the power from the battery if you have VCDS conected then you would see that, revs drop and power drops, also mpg drop massively

Last edited:

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
Managed to replicate this problem this morning, turned hard into the u turn while applying a little brake and all of a sudden the steering went heavy. I'm not sure but it did seem like the revs dropped a bit as well. Could there be movement in the suspension that would cause this to happen? Would be annoying if it is because the car passed its mot last month with no advisories.

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
I'd check the aux drive belt. Putting air con on and turning nearly full lock will create a lot of resistance for the belt to drive meaning it may slip over the power steering pump pulley. Usually the belts squeal but not always. If your tensioner is weak it could be the issue??

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.