simmytt

step by step speaker change.

oille90

thanks

Hey Thanks the guide was easy to follow mate, had fun fitting my FLI 250 watt commponets, louds as now, had to sound proof the door tho, risk of glass shattering lol. cheers pal

druddle

I want that one........
Aug 7, 2003
Berkshire
Is it still worth putting some dynamat behind the speakers if you replace them, even with the adapters?

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Nice guide.

Doing my speakers this weekend the stock ones are awful. Not really taken a note of whats top dog speaker wise over the last couple of years so any recommendations?

Was thinking about the Infinity Kappas.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Hi

If I want to use orginal tweeter do I have to cut any wires or just connect adaptor??

bguy

tweeter replacement

if i want to change the oem tweeters do i need to remove the door panel or can i just
pop up the grills like in the midbass speakers?

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
hello, welcome, you dont need to remove the door panel but the fit when u come to refit it is nicer if u do remove the door panel. popping off the covers for the midbass speakers isent really a nice option unless u want to glue the cover back on again. hope this helps

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
www.bebo.com
ive never heard either of these speakers, the tweeters shouldt be a problem unless there bigger but they are normally round about the same size unless stated, u could always use some dynamat to help the fitment, are you planning on changeing the HU to?

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
www.bebo.com
depending on the quality or loudness u want the standard hu hasnt got the amp inside to power the new speakers to the level they can handle because it will start distorting. like my sig says i have infinity comps all round which are about 80w rms my kenwood hu is 4x50 max (4x35rms at a guess), so even that isent powering my comps to there fullest, the standard hu id prob guess its powering out at 4x10 or so, running comps its not going to make them sound great at all,

9designs

Sep 21, 2002
Rugby
Visit site
Looking up the two speaker options and perhaps go with the more sensitive items.... the InPhase as it's 90 vs 89db. No idea what the standard items are, I would doubt they are any more sensitive.
Not after high volume, so will give it try, could always add an inline power amp I guess, though without pre-outs it would feel like I'm only going to get half the benefit of proper pre power set up.

Is the standard set-up running any passive crossover hidden some where, perhaps just a cap on the back of the tweeter to protect it from the full range signal ?

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
www.bebo.com
the db is the signal to noise ratio, the higher it is the better quality it will be, i would guess them to be 70-80, they might even tell u on the back, i think mine was made by phillips if i remember correctly, u could run an external amp through the high level inputs ive never used high level before so i couldt say what it sounds like, but putting in a better quality hu would be benefitial for the speakers to, (saying goes the system is only as good as the weakest point) yes there is a resistor in the tweeter housing,

9designs

Sep 21, 2002
Rugby
Visit site
Sorry but your wrong there, the db value is the sensitivity, how loud they are with 1 watt of input power, has no relationship to sound quality just how loud they will sound with the power available. If the standard items were 70-80db, they would be incredibly quiet and need a lot power to drive them to any volume.

Agree HU would be ideal, just not sure I want to invest that much for car audio.... Home HiFi is my bag ;)

bqd

need some chocolate
Apr 19, 2008
Belgrade, Serbia
every 1" tweeter will fit it just needs to be glued and if you're after removing door panels and changing speakers then it would be shame not to use the opportunity to go with external amp for them speakers :)

Muller

top write up fella....some good tips
always wanted to upgrade the speakers
never understood why seat did not do anything similar to audi and bose

phippsy

great thread thanks for posting this. got some nice in infinitys in mine now :) now just need a new head unit!

Sparkybrad1994

Please explain why you need to get rid of the flange on the adaptor/spacer??

BrookerG

which is wire 2?

U say wire 2 on the adaptor? Which 1 black or red?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.