Stereo under steering wheel

Becca

Nov 20, 2005
Maidenhead, Berkshire
Has anyone else put their stereo under the steering wheel?
If so can you please PM me, i need some more info. I was wondering what's the easiest way to hold it up as the black plastic isn't strong enough to hold it.

rozza

wow, i really need to do something like this, where abouts have you put it and what do you hold it up with and how simple is it to wire it up

Becca

Nov 20, 2005
Maidenhead, Berkshire
The first time a friend of mine put it up, the plastic bit wasn't strong enough to hold the stereo. So then i got another friend to have a go and he used cable ties to hold it up, was a really good job and you couldn't see them and didn't have any problems. But since then i've had to take it down to plug a Laptop into it and now have got problems using cable ties again. So thought people might have used different ways :confused:

Becca

Nov 20, 2005
Maidenhead, Berkshire
rozza said:
wow, i really need to do something like this, where abouts have you put it and what do you hold it up with and how simple is it to wire it up

There's a black plastic bit under the steering wheel which you can take out and modify it so you can fit a stereo in one of the gaps. Not sure how easy it is to wire it up as i didn't do it myself. The person above can probably tell you :)

rozza

^^^ oh wow thanks, so its like shape for a stereo to fit if i buy a plastic facing for it? then if i got someone good at wiring up, they could connect a hu into it?

Becca

Nov 20, 2005
Maidenhead, Berkshire
rozza said:
^^^ oh wow thanks, so its like shape for a stereo to fit if i buy a plastic facing for it? then if i got someone good at wiring up, they could connect a hu into it?

In that plastic bit under the steering wheel, you have two holes. Mine is in the one on the left, but you have to cut the back out of it so you can push the stereo through.

Is a bit of hassle changing the volume and songs and stuff so get a remote control for your steering wheel. Is also good cos it means passengers can't change your songs :happy:

rozza

^^ ok you have been a great help, and once its pushed through, is it the same as wiring up any hu in any other car + will my car take any hu

Becca

Nov 20, 2005
Maidenhead, Berkshire
rozza said:
^^ ok you have been a great help, and once its pushed through, is it the same as wiring up any hu in any other car + will my car take any hu

You can fit any head unit you want. I've just got a Pioneer one in mine.
Not sure about the wiring sorry!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.