stiff clutch pedal

ScottyDog

Apr 23, 2006
Cambridge
my clutch pedal is stiff pressing it & when releasing it, it sometimes jumps coming up. i.e. sticks. How can I stop this?

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
depending on what engine code it is i think. On mine it connects to a rod about 6'' from the end of the cabel, then the end is secured to the box with a rubber bung fastened to the end of the cable. and this is on the top of the engine, easy to remove iirc. Thats an ABD engine by the way.

You may well be best replacing it, itll feel so much better and lighter as well, mine snapped which wasnt cool and i had to jump it to start it and rag it into gear.

Trouble is i paid about 40-45 pounds for the cable i think (well daddy did in one of his rare generous moods)

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
The reason I bought one for Em's Ibiza was that it was very 'sticky'.

When I went to change it, I disconnected it from the clutch release lever, and found that the cable was in fact free moving niside the sheath. So I reconnected it, making sure it all went back together correctly, and it has cured the 'sticking' problem ;)

If you've got Haynes, it tells you how to do it all in there.

Might be worth a try before you fork out £££ for a new cable.

Also, the job of actually changing the cable looks like a right pain in the arse, as you have to thread it through the bulkhead, and in behind the dash..... you've then got to thread it through the dash and down to the pedal box..... not nice!

Keith002

Sep 25, 2005
andyj said:
The reason I bought one for Em's Ibiza was that it was very 'sticky'.

When I went to change it, I disconnected it from the clutch release lever, and found that the cable was in fact free moving niside the sheath. So I reconnected it, making sure it all went back together correctly, and it has cured the 'sticking' problem ;)

If you've got Haynes, it tells you how to do it all in there.

Might be worth a try before you fork out £££ for a new cable.

Also, the job of actually changing the cable looks like a right pain in the arse, as you have to thread it through the bulkhead, and in behind the dash..... you've then got to thread it through the dash and down to the pedal box..... not nice!

Nah its a easy job :) i could probs do it in about 30-40 mins.. just release the cable in the engine bay.. then get into your foot well and un-hook that.. then you have to remove the trim under your wipers removing them in the process.. then i removed the wiper motor (few bolts).. then its a simple case of taking old cable out and putting new one in.. quite easy really.. unfortantly mine feels like its about to go again.. i belive its the release mech in the gear box that gets stiff and in turn.. the car starts to eat clutch cables.. but i cba to drop the gear box and fix it :blink:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.