Strange rattle noise - 1.8 tsi manual

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Sounds like a diesel now. :sick: Hopefully someone who has had this before comes along with the answer. If I were you I'd be booking it in at a garage. It does not sound healthy.

Reactions: pimpslap94

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Get a screwdriver put the end on the bell housing where the clutch lives or gearbox and the other end on your ear. Do the same to the top of the engine block and you should be able to isolate the noise from either the engine or the clutch area.

The dual mass clutches are full of springs which wear and break and make way too much noise when dying.
It does sound like mal adjusted cam followers ( when they used to be adjustable)

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
DO you have oil in the car, I recall my beetle back in day got even more clattery than normal when the oil was low or when the fan belt broke and oil got hot enough to smoke making me feel like a red arrow tootling along.

I tried so hard to break it, but it never did.

Sorry got caught up down memory lane there.

Reactions: pimpslap94

pimpslap94

Apr 30, 2021
DO you have oil in the car, I recall my beetle back in day got even more clattery than normal when the oil was low or when the fan belt broke and oil got hot enough to smoke making me feel like a red arrow tootling along.

I tried so hard to break it, but it never did.

Sorry got caught up down memory lane there.
Oil has been topped up, surprisingly I've had to too up coolant twice in the past week as it's dropped below the level twice,

Cars currently with the mechanic, I should have a update tomorrow

pimpslap94

Apr 30, 2021
sorry for the late response

timing was checked and was fine & car wasnt losing any power, mechanic couldnt find the issue but when he unplugged the solenoid, the noise stopped & returned when plugging back in

after a few more weeks driving i got epc light the eml light

fault codes were P0011 & P0341

car would go into limp more after 4k revs,

after doing some digging online with these fault codes & the similar noise on the gold GTis

i narrowed it down to the camshaft adjustment valve which cost me £55 shipped from germany which took 5-7days ( seat dealer ship charging £153 with a 2-4 week wait )

Part number - V10-4472
manufacturer - VAICO
6L109257F

by no means a mechanic & i barely know how the engine works by from my understanding

theres two solenoids/magnets/camshaft valves, one for the exhaust & one for the intake

the Magnet pushes against the valve and the valve controls the camshaft timing

mechanic took out the valve ( exhaust )and it was all busted up, after replacing the the noise has gone, no eml or epc lights

SmartSelect_20210719-161059_WhatsApp.jpg

SmartSelect_20210719-161122_WhatsApp.jpg

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
sorry for the late response

timing was checked and was fine & car wasnt losing any power, mechanic couldnt find the issue but when he unplugged the solenoid, the noise stopped & returned when plugging back in

after a few more weeks driving i got epc light the eml light

fault codes were P0011 & P0341

car would go into limp more after 4k revs,

after doing some digging online with these fault codes & the similar noise on the gold GTis

i narrowed it down to the camshaft adjustment valve which cost me £55 shipped from germany which took 5-7days ( seat dealer ship charging £153 with a 2-4 week wait )

Part number - V10-4472
manufacturer - VAICO
6L109257F

by no means a mechanic & i barely know how the engine works by from my understanding

theres two solenoids/magnets/camshaft valves, one for the exhaust & one for the intake

the Magnet pushes against the valve and the valve controls the camshaft timing

mechanic took out the valve ( exhaust )and it was all busted up, after replacing the the noise has gone, no eml or epc lights

View attachment 26072

View attachment 26073
Saving salvage just did this on his gti on youtube. Thanks for heads up.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members