Strange rattle noise - 1.8 tsi manual

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Sounds like a diesel now. :sick: Hopefully someone who has had this before comes along with the answer. If I were you I'd be booking it in at a garage. It does not sound healthy.

Reactions: pimpslap94

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Get a screwdriver put the end on the bell housing where the clutch lives or gearbox and the other end on your ear. Do the same to the top of the engine block and you should be able to isolate the noise from either the engine or the clutch area.

The dual mass clutches are full of springs which wear and break and make way too much noise when dying.
It does sound like mal adjusted cam followers ( when they used to be adjustable)

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
DO you have oil in the car, I recall my beetle back in day got even more clattery than normal when the oil was low or when the fan belt broke and oil got hot enough to smoke making me feel like a red arrow tootling along.

I tried so hard to break it, but it never did.

Sorry got caught up down memory lane there.

Reactions: pimpslap94
Apr 30, 2021
DO you have oil in the car, I recall my beetle back in day got even more clattery than normal when the oil was low or when the fan belt broke and oil got hot enough to smoke making me feel like a red arrow tootling along.

I tried so hard to break it, but it never did.

Sorry got caught up down memory lane there.
Oil has been topped up, surprisingly I've had to too up coolant twice in the past week as it's dropped below the level twice,

Cars currently with the mechanic, I should have a update tomorrow

GAP Insurance - cover the difference for peace of mind