Strange sound in the back of the car after lowering it

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
There seems to be something going on with my car.. fixing one issue and another shows up...

So I fitted eibach 15mm drop springs to my Leon Cupra st 2019 with about 13000miles on it. I have a slight clonking sound coming from the right rear corner.
I've checked that the spring is seated properly in the top and bottom and the bottom rubber mount is also positioned correctly.
I also raised the hub assembly to normalise height before tightening everything to not put additional stress on bushings.

It doesn't seem to happen on compression, for example not when driving over bumps, but more after passing bumps and when the spring and strut "unloads" and decompresses.

Any ideas what it could be?
Has anyone else had similar issues with lowering springs and this plattform?

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
The bump stop thing i had to cut back.tools in my car so back heavy mine.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
The bump stop thing i had to cut back.tools in my car so back heavy mine.
Oh okay, what springs did you fit and what car do you have?
Did yours also sound on decompressions?

How much did you cut them?

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
I think eibach springs was.cant check in ebay now.
I did cut 1-2 bump.easy to test.wheel off and jack the suspension and someone jumping on the back(im not serious about this jump).you will hear the noise if that.easy to loose the dust cover so will be visible.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Not 100% this is the problem but i had issue with this. Im not sure how the cupra suspension.10 mins to check.
Thanks.
Did you car make the sounds when hitting the bumps or after passing them?
When the spring and damper compressed or during decompressing?

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
No problem. When we lifted and jacked movement up and down was noise.close to full up position.however possible just the spring wrong angle.i had terrible noise from nissan leaf with japan most expensive springs too.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
No problem. When we lifted and jacked movement up and down was noise.close to full up position.however possible just the spring wrong angle.i had terrible noise from nissan leaf with japan most expensive springs too.

I put the spring resting at the stop in the bottom rubber mount. I guess there is no other way to put it? Or did I mess it up there?
I've never fitted lowering springs before but I figured it couldn't be that hard since it's not brain surgery..

halsall1987

Jul 22, 2012
Basingstoke
Sorry to revive an old thread! @Snowman - did you find a solution for the knocking? I have the exact same problem after fitting lowering springs, knocking sound from the rear which is more on decompression around corners than when going over bumps...

I thought it might be the springs sticking together, but after lubing them up (and the bushings) it's still happening.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Sorry to revive an old thread! @Snowman - did you find a solution for the knocking? I have the exact same problem after fitting lowering springs, knocking sound from the rear which is more on decompression around corners than when going over bumps...

I thought it might be the springs sticking together, but after lubing them up (and the bushings) it's still happening.
No problem :) Yes it ended up being one of the rear sway bar links. So i swapped it and the noice went away

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.