strut braces

CRAIGLCR

THE DADDY!!!!!
Nov 14, 2005
STOKE ON TRENT
i fitted the S3 one to my LCR it fitsand looks quite nice!!! it is a bit scary having to drill and tap your suspension mounts tho!!! If your not too good with the mechanical side of things id get some one do it for you!! it took me around half hour to fit!!

Deleted member 7729

MMmm don't like the thought of drilling into the car as avenues for rust open up etc.

rocket ronnie

Apr 18, 2004
Midlands
motor008.jpg

A bit expensive !! but i like it ..... [B)]

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Scotty_b said:
Should i be worried?! About chris fitting them that is?
Ive not got any bolts, did you let BBT do it or DIY? If BBT did it did you supply the bolts? Cars in tommorow and i completly forgot to check!

no chris is great! (was just winding you up as i know u were worried about drilling into your struts! ;))

i did mine myself! :)

went to BBT today with tris actually... anyways lol... if i were u scott id phone shaun/chris now and ask if they will need you to supply bolts?

that way u will know!

i bought mine (M8) from B&Q and also bought nyloc nuts (dont forget washers)... all in about £5 or £6.

rocket ronnie

Apr 18, 2004
Midlands
Anyone else tried the nut inserts ?? I used them to fit mine,drill the holes and fix in place with crimping type tool then you can fix the brace with stud bolts and cover caps.No fiddling around under the car....Just remember to rust proof the holes as soon as they are drilled.

rocket ronnie

Apr 18, 2004
Midlands
Yes... No problems fitting at all.The only awkward bit is getting the tool in to compress the inserts,but got round that by disconnecting the bonnet strut and lifting it higher

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
rocket ronnie said:
Anyone else tried the nut inserts ?? I used them to fit mine,drill the holes and fix in place with crimping type tool then you can fix the brace with stud bolts and cover caps.No fiddling around under the car....Just remember to rust proof the holes as soon as they are drilled.

what are these? where do you get ther from, are they solid?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
nut inserts are probably the same thing as i used - also called riv-nuts.

They are basically like a washer type tube that goes into the hole, but has a larger lip on the top so it doesnt fall through. As you put the screw in the washer bit expands to fill the hole, and then continues to expand to grip tightly to the hole.

The Audi S3 lower strut brace uses these to fit to the LC - my guide on leoncupra has the pics.

Same thing for top brace, drill the hole, pop in riv-nut, attach brace and tighten. :)

No need to jack car up, no messing around with nuts underneath :) Awesome stuff.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I've seen a couple of S3 braces fitted - both required modification to fit them - the leon bonnet lifter fouls on the brace slightly. and required grinding slightly.

rocket ronnie

Apr 18, 2004
Midlands
RickC said:
ook cool chers, who sells them? B&Q?

Best going to a fixings supplier,i found a place in Birmingham called Nutters Nuts and fixings.The inserts i used are very strong and you need the tool to compress them into the hole.I will see if i can put up a pic of some later......

CRAIGLCR

THE DADDY!!!!!
Nov 14, 2005
STOKE ON TRENT
y got to all the trouble of inserting these riv-nuts when its probably cheaper to just drill and tap the holes to suit an M8 capscrew!!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise