Stud has snapped in turbo

af1

Feb 17, 2008
Hi i have snapped a stud in my turbo :(
whats the best way to get it out? is there anything i can buy?
or am i best getting a mate to weld a nut onto it?
i dont really want to have to drill it out!

af1

Feb 17, 2008
luckily there is still a bit to grip onto but my mole grips keep slipping off :( but my mole grips seem a little too big if that makes sense i have only been putting the front bit on it, not the rounded bit as it is too large

af1

Feb 17, 2008
my mate can weld, but he is moving house this weekend! i have bought a set of long nosed mole grips and will be trying them tomorrow, the car isnt actually leaking exhaust gasses from that area (i did the cloth check) but obviously isnt ideal!! but it can limp me around if needs be!

where can i buy a replacement stud?

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
Go to halfords or the like for a small box of stud extractors, they just look like normal long reach sockets exept they have a hole and 3 'teeth' in the middle of them, as you tighten they grip more. Usually take a 3/8ths rachet on them depending on size. Ive used them on ones down to around 3MM of stud.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
I'd say your idea of welding a nut on or stud extractor socket like robb1990 suggested are good bets, but both would be a lot easier if you heat it up like Nev suggested

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
If using grips or stud extractor make sure you drench the stud in wd40 or better still plusgas dismantling lubricant.

Nev_LCR

Gone... but not forgoten
May 16, 2007
Ipswich, Suffolk
I'd say your idea of welding a nut on or stud extractor socket like robb1990 suggested are good bets, but both would be a lot easier if you heat it up like Nev suggested

i said that if he cant get it welded, as next option really bud, and like willy said a bit of ride and slide.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.