Suggestions to remedy turbo pipe problem?

tb130

Apr 17, 2009
Hi All,

Since having my '03 TDi 130 remapped to 180bhp and 290torque I've been having a (probably to be expected) problem of the pipe between by intercooler and turbo (i think, sorry!!) popping off under full boost. To remedy this I have attached jubilee clips at either side of the three joins and cable tied them together to make a stronger seal.

The cable ties normally last about 4-6 weeks before snapping, normally on the top pipe. I'm wondering what my options are as I don't think a new factory pipe will fix the situation long term due to the increased boost. I can't seem to find any kits from samco and wonder if i'll need a custom kit.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I'm sorry but as you may be able to tell from my description i'm a little new to this.

p.s. I've also already done a search for this but can't seem to find anything diesel related.

Thanks in advance

Tom

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
You could always buy a seat sport intercooler and then the forge pipework for this? Comes to about 500 quid but if you were intending to do more things to that car and itl solve your problem your kinda killing 2 birds with one stone!

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
or as a cheaper fix you could try some better clamps on the pipes? I know mikalor (spelling?)ones solve these problems on other cars pretty easily and are around 5-6 quid a clamp

tb130

Apr 17, 2009
The Seat Sport Intercooler is a little more than I was hoping for really because I was only looking to replace the pipe as at the moment I don't expect to be doing any more mods. Stronger ties does sound good though.

Cheers

tb130

Apr 17, 2009
Also, how would you suggest I join the clamps. Currently I have a clamp at either side of the joins and then feed the cable ties through and it is these pulling the jubilees together that forms the join.

As it's the cable ties that're breaking I'm not sure that replacing the clamps will make much difference. Thoughts? Maybe more than 2 ties per join which i'm doing currently?

tb130

Apr 17, 2009
That's the sort of thing I was hoping for really. Thanks a lot. I know this is really annoying but could you be a little more specific on how i'd do this? Sorry for not being to clued up.

Cheers

antnee

Talk to spitfire performance who can make boost pipes up to replace the whole lot!

tb130

Apr 17, 2009
Have you guys been through Spitfire for similar things? What sort of cost might i be looking at?

Thanks for this