Sump Tray Modification

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I change the oil on my diesel Exeo every six months and I find removing and replacing the sump tray a real pain in the neck.

Taking the sump tray off altogether is not an option as it was designed to improve aerodynamics and fuel economy, plus the tray helps fix on the wheel arch lines and mudflaps. Dipstick type oil extraction did not work for me !

My solution has been to cut a removable panel in the sump tray as shown in the pictures below. This is something I meant to do ages ago:

Picture 1: Removed sump tray with 150mm x 250mm panel cut out below and to the left of the sump oil drain bolt. The size and shape was chosen, as the removal of the horizontal sump bolt allows the oil to shoot out sideways to the left without fouling the sump tray:

IMGP0633.jpg

Picture 2: I made some plastic tabs and riveted them on to the panel which I cut out with a jigsaw:

IMGP0634.jpg

Pictures 3 & 4: Panel fixed back in place front and back with torx and fittings:

IMGP0637.jpg

IMGP0636.jpg

Picture 5: Finally the new view I will get when I change the oil with the panel removed. You can see the silver coloured sump oil drain bolt. There is plenty of room for the torque wrench and flow of oil:

IMGP0639.jpg

This mod will be a real time saver !

JR_130

Mar 24, 2009
awesome time saving mod.
dont understand why VAG never put something like this in place to begin with.

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
Great idea and well executed. Thanks for the write up. I'll be doing this at the next oil change. :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members