Surging Revs at Idle

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Had this problem since winter and now its doing my head in. The car surges between 900-1500rpm when idling, sounds like it’s going to drive off by itself, I have tried cleaning the idle control valve and still had the problem even swapped it with my mates and my car still surged where his didn’t with my control valve.

I have tried VAGCOM thanks to PhilW and it found no fault errors at all and when I went to show him what I was on about the car idled fine, as what usually happens when you go to show someone. :cry:

I know it can’t be the control valve and VAGCOM would say all the sensors are fine but I’ve been told that the temperature sensor will still give a positive read out when it is still faulty, could this be the problem?

Or have someone got any ideas what could be wrong?

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
check all of the vacum pipes to/from the airbox and also the inlet manifold/throttle body.

Check the ends of the vac pipes to, they can some times split etc.

Also, try cleaning out the throttle body with carb cleaner, they sometimes get really gunked up etc.

Just a few things to try for starters ;)

Trying to remember what I did when I had simialir probs with my 2.0 16v Cordy !!! Will check for my posts about it ;)

Andy

alimac81

Victory is mine!
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
Have you taken it out for a good drive? i had this exact same problem on mine after i finished rebuilding the engine, tried checking all the pipes, but i decided to take it for a drive home and now its fine :shrug:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Cheers AndyJ, gonna try some carb cleaner in the throttle body now and alimac its been happin since the start of winter so been driving it a lot since :)

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Right.... all the pipes and sensors look fine, I have sprayed Carb Cleaner into the throttle body and the engine is still surging :blink:

I wanna get this sorted asap so I can do some mods to the engine :whistle:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Gave that a good clean about 3 weeks ago and also tryed my mates on my engine and it still surged and when he tryed mine in his it was fine :(

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
That’s what I was thinking a sensor maybe faulty but I plugged in the VAGCOM and it found no faults :confused:

Could the temp sensor still be giving a positive signal so the VAGCOM thought it was fine

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
I reckon the temp sender. The one with the 4 wires on it. Its related to the choke, so that could be the surging. Also check the wires to that sensor, as it could be a dodgy wire.

Good Luck.

d4ve

also there wont be an error thrown up by the CTS as its still working just not at 100%

a dodgy CTS tends to affect mpg as well though - noticed any difference in how quickly u gotta fill tank?

if its not that id say an air leak

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Brought a Temp Sender today but can't see where it goes... any advice :headhurt:

My mpg is a bit lower but I put that down to the mods and the way I've been driving it lately.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
im sure youve tried this but does still misbehave with maf unplugged?

had a similar thing happen, surging before engine warms but all ok once warm and that was a faulty temp sensor. but it idled ok.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
That Temp Sender I got from VW because SEAT were shut all day saturdays, its the 4 pin type but I have looked and looked and looked again and can't find where it goes? :(

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.