Suspension Upgrade for LC

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Ok, before all the haters start, i've used the search :p

I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2001 LC, as the standard setup is, well, shite tbh. So i have a few questions:

1) What other ARB's from other marques fit? I've heard of r32 ones but any others?
2) What ARB's come on the LC as standard, and what size?
3) What suspension setups are there? Don't really want coilies, just upgraded shocks and maybe 40mm-50mm springs? Recommendations?
4) Anything else worth upgrading while i'm there? Any particular bushes?

Many thanks :D

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Ok, before all the haters start, i've used the search :p

I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my 2001 LC, as the standard setup is, well, shite tbh. So i have a few questions:

1) What other ARB's from other marques fit? I've heard of r32 ones but any others?
2) What ARB's come on the LC as standard, and what size?
3) What suspension setups are there? Don't really want coilies, just upgraded shocks and maybe 40mm-50mm springs? Recommendations?
4) Anything else worth upgrading while i'm there? Any particular bushes?

Many thanks :D

For a start the standard setup is FAR from shite... if it is then something is wrong as the car has a very good chassis as standard. But of course it can be improved... if it is poor then sort out these issues first before tuning.

The LC only has a front ARB although it is thicker than the LCR front.

The parts to replace for an excellent handling car are:

LCR wishbone bushes
LCR top mounts
Aftermarket Rear ARB
New Ball joints and drop links

This little lot can be done for £300-£400 and will transform the car... imho uprated springs or dampers are not needed for a fast road car but of course that comes down to your choice.

I have everything above now except the rear ARB and the car handles superb and I rate it highly coming from a background of powerful FWD and RWD cars [B)]

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
For a start the standard setup is FAR from shite... if it is then something is wrong as the car has a very good chassis as standard. But of course it can be improved... if it is poor then sort out these issues first before tuning.

The LC only has a front ARB although it is thicker than the LCR front.

The parts to replace for an excellent handling car are:

LCR wishbone bushes
LCR top mounts
Aftermarket Rear ARB
New Ball joints and drop links

This little lot can be done for £300-£400 and will transform the car... imho uprated springs or dampers are not needed for a fast road car but of course that comes down to your choice.

I have everything above now except the rear ARB and the car handles superb and I rate it highly coming from a background of powerful FWD and RWD cars [B)]

Thanks for the reply. Maybe i was being a bit harsh, but i think it's relatively poor, but then again it is a heavy car. As said above, will be looking at uprating arb's, suspension etc.

What's the difference between lc and lcr wishbone bushes? I've heard you can also get audi tt versions?

dday

old bowy
Mar 3, 2008
I have just fitted an R32 arb to find that its two inch shorter than the Lc item on either side. The sub frame had to be dropped to fit it

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
It also has different mounting points
R32 ARB mounts to the strut
LC ARB mounts to the wishbone and hence length difference

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Both the KW and Weitec springs and shocks kits are very popular with other Leon owners on the forum and a great option that isn't too stiff so ideal for everyday road use. The Whiteline ARBs are also worth looking at and with them being adjustable you can tweak them to exactly how you want them to handle.

Give me a shout if you'd like any info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance