Suspension which would you have ?

thebody

Feb 28, 2010
Coningsby
I just cant decide i would like my ibiza to sit a little lower but not interested in having it slammed.
As im going to be using it on long journeys i wont to retain some comfort. My old bones cant take it no more.
Im only interested in lowering it 20-30mm.
So my question is coilovers, springs or matching dampers and springs ?
Ive done a search and didnt come up with any conclusive answers.
Thanks

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
well i'd put it this way
what is your budget firstly?

coilovers are not as what people make them out to be, mine are really soft, dare i say softer than when i had springs on my gti dampers?

springs are good for a slight drop like what your looking for

really springs and dampers would be the best option

but in reality when you drop her 20-30mm you will want to drop it even more (and i don't mean "slammed" but dropped like an extra 10mm)

all i can say is i cannot fault my coilovers tbh, but i am not running 20-30mm drop, more like 60-70mm :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
i got hottuning ones, they are perfect for what i want, they actually surpass my expectations, as i though ride would be rock hard, i was so wrong, they are really good :)

if you email [email protected] (say your on SCN and Suraj sent ya, he will sort you out cheaper prices :))
i think they do shocks and spring setups too, so worth asking, he is belgium but speaks good english :)

EDIT: when i got my set delivered, they had "TA Technix" strapping around the box, as they are actually made by TA Technix, but sold for MUCH cheaper :)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
never known coilovers ever described as soft as springs before - have to keep an eye out for a set once i decide what im doing with it

vngtx

mk2 suspension is already solid. might aswell have coilies just so you can hurt your back AND have a nice ride height at the same time. ive got 60mm lowering springs so its solid and nearly flips the car over bumps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
mk2 suspension is already solid. might aswell have coilies just so you can hurt your back AND have a nice ride height at the same time. ive got 60mm lowering springs so its solid and nearly flips the car over bumps.

Springs on standard shocks? It's not going to flip due to a "solid" ride it's because the shocks are boucing like crazy :)

Didn't you have them off Phil? If so they were mine at one time and even Koni Sports shocks were to long for them.

Even look at Supersport because they are made in the same factory on the same line as Spax but are cheaper.... Even got told that by Spax

Last edited:

vngtx

Springs on standard shocks? It's not going to flip due to a "solid" ride it's because the shocks are boucing like crazy :)

Didn't you have them off Phil? If so they were mine at one time and even Koni Sports shocks were to long for them.

its complicated. i wasnt coilies. need to go lower. [B)]

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Did you have to pay import tax because they came from Belgium ?

nope, just paid what edwin said, they came to my door, then shoved on, then picked the height i wanted :D

never known coilovers ever described as soft as springs before - have to keep an eye out for a set once i decide what im doing with it

i know mate, i thought "gonna be solid compared to my springs/shocks" but i was totally wrong :D
well i am running quite low, and heard if you raise quite high you lose the helper springs (as they compress) but i wouldn't imagaine it to be too bad tbh :)

edc

Blue Leather & Shiny Bits
Feb 8, 2002
Surrey
www.clairecoileytrust.com
I just cant decide i would like my ibiza to sit a little lower but not interested in having it slammed.
As im going to be using it on long journeys i wont to retain some comfort. My old bones cant take it no more.
Im only interested in lowering it 20-30mm.
So my question is coilovers, springs or matching dampers and springs ?
Ive done a search and didnt come up with any conclusive answers.
Thanks

Try a Koni kit. Not mega lowering but retains decent comfort. Very old PPC article with Glyn Hopkins old car had a useful article.

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
I managed to get a set of 40mm koni springs/shocks cheap.
The ride is ok, it is quite hard, but I'm also on low profile tyres which doesn't help lol.
Come to think of it the dampers on mine are adjustable so the ride hardness/software can be adjusted......might need making softer lol

I'm getting some 60mm springs for the front soon, just for a better stance, but when I save up, maybe at the end of summer or start of next year I'll buy some coilies

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
what you mean by fitting issue's?

it's quite straight forward
more or less the same as normal shock/spring setup

just when you got it on the car i suggest you put it on the lowest setting, then adjust to the height, then spray copper grease all on the coils so they don't cease :)

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Never had or been in a car with TA Tech's so can't comment but I can tell you after riding in a couple of Ibiza's with fairly new standard shocks and eibach springs I'd spend the extra on a matched kit, the ride was terrible, crashed over small lumps in the road and handling wasn't predicatable, really annoyed both my mates when they couldn't keep up with me down country roads, cars hardly kept in contact with the road the grip was worse than std.

Always go for a matched set whether it be coilovers or not, suspension working in harmony will always ride miles better.