Swapping stock turbo for a hybrid turbocharger on 1.4tsi which other internals need upgrading?

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
I'm currently looking at all options to see which one is the cheapest . I was thinking about buying a salvaged cupra and swapping it's internals with mine but I couldn't find one for a good price and due to me currently and not being able to afford a cupra I thought about upgrading my 1.4 nothing too major but I'm still calculating how much it would cost me so what would I need to upgrade to support a bigger turbo? https://www.r-tmg.com/products/turbo-ea211rs.html

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Just putting a bigger turbo in doesn't need anything specific, although some patience for the extra lag when you accelerate will be necessary.

I personally don't see the point in upgrading a 1.4, the power increase would be tiny compared to the cost and modified cars are very hard to sell afterward.

Reactions: xyz

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I personally don't see the point in upgrading a 1.4, the power increase would be tiny compared to the cost and modified cars are very hard to sell afterward.

Almost impossible. You can sell them, but you'll lose all of the money you spent on the mods and then some.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Same with all mods you get back £0 of what you invest all you do is make the potential buyer market smaller.

on the other hand modify your car if you wish, if changing something on a car makes you happy then go for it. Do not listen to others do what makes YOU happy

Reactions: OJ9693

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Same with all mods you get back £0 of what you invest all you do is make the potential buyer market smaller.

I was looking at Focus STs last year and I had a guy practically begging me to buy his modded car. He'd put thousands into it and couldn't get what a standard car would be worth.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If the 1.4 isn’t what you want, and a Cupra is out of funding, what about a 1.8?

Everybody wants a faster buggy but trying to do it on the cheap seldom pans out well. The better course of action is to live within your means, drive what you can afford and wait until a better car is comfortably within your budget. Less chance of tears that way.

Reactions: xyz

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I banged a big turbo on my old 130 tdi golf got it up to 270bhp was worth the money for the journey. (Around 10 years ago)

Reactions: mdaw1985

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
I would say that the OP would need to change the clutch. If you put a bigger turbo on you should get the car remapped preferably custom rolling road remap. After that I doubt the standard clutch will be able to handle the new bhp and torque.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If you put a bigger turbo on you should get the car remapped preferably custom rolling road remap. After that I doubt the standard clutch will be able to handle the new bhp and torque.

Just one of the reasons most buyers won't touch a modded car. You can have a car that has been designed and balanced by a major car manufacturer at the cost of millions, or you can have one developed by chummy boy on his drive using the bits he could afford off eBay.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Just one of the reasons most buyers won't touch a modded car. You can have a car that has been designed and balanced by a major car manufacturer at the cost of millions, or you can have one developed by chummy boy on his drive using the bits he could afford off eBay.

I agree with what you're saying there. The link OP posted is from a company called RTMG who have developed there own package (Turbo upgrade, intercooler exchange, intake, blow off valve, custom remap with rolling road etc) and have been developing it on their own car in-house for awhile. They've posted video's of progress on their pages about it in the past. If OP were to use their knowledge and package then I think the results would be a safe increase in performance. I know JBS Auto are currently doing their own development for the 1.4Tsi too so they can offer a package for performance improvement.

Along with what you said earlier though, selling a modded car is often a ball ache at the best of times, and you do not get the cash back. Been there, done it, still doing it! But I accept the loss before making decisions, and plan on keeping the car for a good while, so personally it doesn't bother me. Plus I've kept original parts to return it to standard once the time to move on comes along should a potential buyer want it as standard.

In response to the original question at hand, with a hybrid turbo upgrade at the least you would need a clutch upgrade. These engines use a water cooled intercooler and that will be OK as is, however after prolonged hard driving you will get heat soak problems. For the odd blast of acceleration it won't be an issue, but if you're wanting to do track days I would consider converting to an air cooled intercooler. Again, that is extra cost and modification to do.

In terms of internal engine components, I haven't seen any reports of issues with going higher up the power band, but it isn't well explored territory. Just be prepared to potentially have the problem of big issues should you go forward with your idea. And by big issues I mean the engine going pop. Any modification is a risk at the end of the day. As Mr Pig said, manufacturers develop their engines and components with a level of power use in mind and reliability for years worth of motoring. Changing things about can and does cause unexpected consequences.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I If OP were to use their knowledge and package then I think the results would be a safe increase in performance.

Maybe, but in terms of selling the car it doesn't make much difference. Most people just avoid modded cars, period. They don't bother themselves with the details, they just walk.

My son sold his bog standard Ibiza last year. Seat Approved, full service history etc and it still took months to sell it. No way I'd want the extra greiff of trying to shift a modded car. Your market is very, very small.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members