t0m's LCR AmD Stage 2 - Turini's, Wavetrac LSD, Recaro's..

Fry over black or high power silver wheel refurb?

• Fry over black wheel colour

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • High power silver wheel colour

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I think it depends on how long toms planning on keeping the car
Only problem with moving on to another car for more power is you have to start modding from scratch, whereas nearly everything on the leon has been upgraded or overhauled

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Good debate and fair comments either side of the fence... Maz I can see your logic, but moving to another car isn't an option really at this time or anytime soon. The LCR stays for a good while now, it's a case of replacing the rods to put my mind at rest they won't give way on me. I don't see that as wasted money at all tbh.

The manifold isn't 100% going to happen yet, and the gains aren't massive. I'm watching a couple of other threads of similar cars to mine to see how they get on before committing to any purchase.

Short term, I'm getting this LSD on with a new clutch and younger gearbox that should really change my driving experience completely. Power isn't my aim at all especially over the winter months.

matt88 lcr

May 21, 2011
Nice work getin the diff mate will make a big differance

Forging it is gd I'm getin mine done next year got my list of parts

Get the Mani well worth it and best fitted when heads off makes it much Easyer job and people r getin great gains off them

Matt

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Nice work getin the diff mate will make a big differance

Forging it is gd I'm getin mine done next year got my list of parts

Get the Mani well worth it and best fitted when heads off makes it much Easyer job and people r getin great gains off them

Matt

Yeah the diff should be good once on! Looking forward to getting comfortable with it and seeing how it does on track next year :)

Rods and probably mani all in good time but the car is running well for now so no rush, and the diff/clutch is costing enough for now, lol.

matt88 lcr

May 21, 2011
Yea heard it takes getin use to how the car acts with diff compared without.

Yea clutch and diff isn't cheap bin lookin at clutches myself

Yea if fin now nice to av rods done for peace of mind not cheap tho

Matt

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Yea heard it takes getin use to how the car acts with diff compared without.

Yea clutch and diff isn't cheap bin lookin at clutches myself

Yea if fin now nice to av rods done for peace of mind not cheap tho

Matt

The characteristics will change quite a bit! I'm looking forward to it though :)

Rods certainly aren't cheap. Been looking at the IE one's. There's other bits to buy when you do them aswell so will have to see as and when I can get it all done. Won't be this year though. Diff, new clutch and gears all re aligned to be as smooth as can be, then that's it until 2013.

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Personally Tom and this is my honest opinion, you will be flushing money away.

Probably not what people want to hear bit you have to bear in mind that your spending more and more to make car reliable with the power etc..etc..however one crash and the car will be written off. God forbid of course but you really got to think, do you really need to spend another 2k on the car to make it quicker or more reliable?

I am all for modding and enjoying car on track and on road. However if you want more performance then buy another car thats worth more and spend money on that if need be.

The things is we're all moders! Talking from experience modifying a new more expensive car. You lose money on the modifications, you reduce the Market if you want to sell it on and you also keep an eye on how fast your car is depreciating (which can be a lot at present!). So in the end you lose more money than spending it on a car you're happy with which is worth as much as a years depreciation of a newer car. That's my thoughts and why I've got my LCR. ;)

Last edited:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
The things is we're all moders! Talking from experience modifying a new more expensive car. You lose money on the modifications, you reduce the Market if you want to sell it on and you also keep an eye on how fast your car is depreciating (which can be a lot at present!). So in the end you lose more money than spending it on a car you're happy with which is worth as much as a years depreciation of a newer car. That's my thoughts and why I've got my LCR. ;)

This is the thing mate, if I went out and bought an S3 today with what my budget could stretch to, I'd only continue to mod it and get into the same routine. That outlay to buy another car vs the performance gain from what I have in the LCR isn't enough IMO so it's best to stick with this project for a while yet. It's not worth selling but in my eyes the car is worth a lot more so it stays. It puts a big smile on my face still and gets better with each mod lately (they have been big like the bushes though) - and I'm sure the diff and clutch are going to really get me engaged to the drive and really get it pushed to its limits more. Can't wait. Roll on the mods :D

matt88 lcr

May 21, 2011
The characteristics will change quite a bit! I'm looking forward to it though :)

Rods certainly aren't cheap. Been looking at the IE one's. There's other bits to buy when you do them aswell so will have to see as and when I can get it all done. Won't be this year though. Diff, new clutch and gears all re aligned to be as smooth as can be, then that's it until 2013.

Yea not cheap u sin the kits with all parts from USA on faceboook

Matt

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Yea not cheap u sin the kits with all parts from USA on faceboook

Matt

Yeah that's INA thought I'm guessing you mean right? I don't want to order from them I'm not waiting 5 months for my rods. Looking at the IE rods for £599 the Tuscan one's. I've not skimped on parts at all with this car so won't be when it comes to rods either. Won't be cheap but will be worth it in the long run for sure :)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Yeah I don't know why people are ordering from there tbh when there's other options out there. INA won't be getting my order. Heard enough about Issam from them taking forever and stringing orders along.

Last edited:

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Yeah that's INA thought I'm guessing you mean right? I don't want to order from them I'm not waiting 5 months for my rods. Looking at the IE rods for £599 the Tuscan one's. I've not skimped on parts at all with this car so won't be when it comes to rods either. Won't be cheap but will be worth it in the long run for sure :)

I'm not sure when I'll be in a position to buy rods but the Tuscan rods are high on my list. When you get around to ordering give me a shout we may get a deal on postage?

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I'm not sure when I'll be in a position to buy rods but the Tuscan rods are high on my list. When you get around to ordering give me a shout we may get a deal on postage?

Ok mate no probs I'll give you a shout. As a rough guide it'll probably be early next year, lol. The diff and clutch are going to set me back quite a bit just before Xmas!

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Realistically I'll be looking at April time. May be sooner at a push.

Ok mate. Well I've not decided 100% yet, because I'll want to buy a few bits at once to save on labour during fitting also.

Could be around the same time yet, so will give you a shout as and when :)

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
May aswell mate whilst it's all apart, that's what I'm trying to do with mine. I've got a new oil pump and water pump for it. I can't think of anything that could be more annoying then getting the rods fitted and then finding out the oil pump or water pump needs replaced so it all has to come apart again.

JamJay

California Bound
It's all going on, Tom, nice to see :).

Re: worthiness of upgrading these parts vs selling, I personally think you should persevere with the car. Writing it off is a risk we all take the moment we set off on the road, you can't decide not to follow your passions (of making a good car better) for fear of that as if it happens, it happens...just make sure your insurance policy is aware and replaces like for like and with agreed car value if possible.

Have you seen the price for good, used MK1 LCR's now? My heart sank a little when I looked on PH actually, as £4.5k would get you something very nice, almost enough to tempt me back into one actually.

I think keep it, the car is definitely a Q car but also a little iconic, a quick (even by today's standards really) hot hacth with all the toys. Get bored of it then BT as you already have the foundations.

Enjoy it mate, as long as you're in love with the car and you enjoy it then keep at it!

Last edited:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
May aswell mate whilst it's all apart, that's what I'm trying to do with mine. I've got a new oil pump and water pump for it. I can't think of anything that could be more annoying then getting the rods fitted and then finding out the oil pump or water pump needs replaced so it all has to come apart again.

Yeah, there's absolutely no harm in replacing all that too if you can while you're at it. I'll certainly be looking at a list of parts to do in one hit.

I think I'm set on the IE Tuscan 144/20 rifle drilled rods now also. :)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
It's all going on, Tom, nice to see :).

Re: worthiness of upgrading these parts vs selling, I personally think you should persevere with the car. Writing it off is a risk we all take the moment we set off on the road, you can't decide not to follow your passions (of making a good car better) for fear of that as if it happens, it happens...just make sure your insurance policy is aware and replaces like for like and with agreed car value if possible.

Have you seen the price for good, used MK1 LCR's now? My heart sank a little when I looked on PH actually, as £4.5k would get you something very nice, almost enough to tempt me back into one actually.

I think keep it, the car is definitely a Q car but also a little iconic, a quick (even by today's standards really) hot hacth with all the toys. Get bored of it then BT as you already have the foundations.

Enjoy it mate, as long as you're in love with the car and you enjoy it then keep at it!

Sure is mate! :)

Exactly my thoughts. I could write it off at anytime I set off for a drive so I think perservering is the way forward while I still enjoy this car as much as I do. It goes like a rocket and handles very well now but I still don't think I've quite got to that lcr stage 2 potential yet. There's more to be had from it which is why I've gone and got the Wavetrac and will soon be ordering a new clutch for it.

I think you should get a cheeky LCR on the side personally ;) You miss those vagcom scans and logging don't you :D

I don't think I'll ever BT it but if I did change my mind one day it would have the foundations in place as you've pointed out. I don't do things cheaply. I've done it before with the old fmic which eventually had to go as the car needed something more substantial. It felt better instantly so it makes me wonder how many areas I can cover and uprate to squeeze more from it.. I will keep going that's for sure.

As said, they aren't worth selling now. I can leave much more expensive cars behind and still feel like mine is well built and has all the toys I need. A lot of stuff these days is fancy and just luxuries I'm not really bothered about with new cars. I still love the look of the LCR and it's standing the test of time really well IMO 10 years on since it came out.

I've got to the point now where I don't think I'll ever get rid of this car. I will own other cars in the future but this will be my garaged toy. I just couldn't see someone else take it off my hands now either. It wouldn't be as pampered! :happy:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members