Tailgate/boot rattle

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I have a 16 FR hatch and it has an annoying rattle in the tailgate/boot area. Particularly annoying as apart from that the car is silent. It sounds like something swinging around and hitting off a panel.

I've had the floor out, checked all the stuff in the wheel well. Had the tailgate trim off and checked all the wires etc under there. Had the back seats down in case it was seat latches.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Mine does this too and I can’t find out what it is, it sounds like something hitting the tailgate trim but I taped down everything under there so there’s nothing moving but the noise is still there. My passenger air vent squeaks when I go round corners too and I’ve had that out and still can’t find that noise. Think I’ll have to buy a more solid car next time round

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Try wrapping a few layers of electrical tape round the rear seat locks, had this on my GTD and was a known issue with Golfs - sounds like someone is knocking from outside the car.
volkswagen_golf_rear_seat_rattle_fix_tape_after_002.jpg
Hopefully it is something as easy as that!

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
I had this issue on my 2017 FR, dealer said it was a common issue with Leons and they adjusted the alignment of the boot which sorted it straight away. May not be the same issue but might be worth checking if you have warranty. Otherwise taping up the rear seat latches may work as I know this can also cause rattles.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
My rear boot rattle came from this..

dbcb8af6aa17250b769b66ee973905a7.jpg

So I just wrapped a couple of layers of electrical tape on there and no more rattle.. Doesn't wear or tear either. Been on there for ages now....

Reactions: bgb

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I had this issue on my 2017 FR, dealer said it was a common issue with Leons and they adjusted the alignment of the boot which sorted it straight away. May not be the same issue but might be worth checking if you have warranty. Otherwise taping up the rear seat latches may work as I know this can also cause rattles.

Also another common problem, alignment and also the 'bump stops' - have a play with those to make sure the boot is 'compressed' when closed so no movement.

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
How full is your fuel tank?
When I have a full or near full tank I get the thunk noise from the fuel sploshing around when moving off.
Took me a while to figure out but at least it wasn't something else.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
When I have a full or near full tank I get the thunk noise from the fuel sploshing around when moving off.

Yeah, that's a well known one. It's not that.

Not the seat latches, another well known issue. Driving with the back seats down just lets you hear it more loudly! Not the boot latch, I've tried that.

It sounds like something behind the trim. I'm going to get my wife to drive the car while I sit in the back, see if I can narrow it down.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Went a run around the back roads with my head in the boot! The rattle is definitely coming from the tailgate area. I've had the tailgate trim off and the trim inside the back of the boot. Pulled the boot side trims out as well. Can't find a damn thing :0(

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Have you tried adjusting the rubber bump stops on either side of the hatch aperture (used to aid alignment of the hatch when in the closed position)? As the rubber ages it goes hard/loses its elasticity, and this has a tendency to transmit more vibration rather absorb it.

In normally operation, the bump stops should compress a little as the boot hatch closes - as the boot hatch is released, these stops return to their uncompressed state which overcomes the inertia/sticktion on the gas struts, so the boot opens smoothly.

Other likely causes:

Metal tang from the boot trim has fallen into the hatch cavity - With the hatch raised slightly, pat the hatch with an open hand until you can hear the rattle to get an approximate location, then use an extendable mirror to locate. Sometimes need to remove the light clusters to find the offending article.

Rattles in the light clusters, poor fitting bulb trays/foam around cluster worn.

Trim attached to the boot is missing tangs or broken - can use foam to pad it out in area of rattle.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Some good suggestions there Blacksheep.

I've had the tailgate trim off and I put cloth tape around the edges. All the clips are on. It's not a clip rattling inside, the sound is heavier than that.

I tried putting two wads of tissue under the bump stops to tighten them up but it made no difference. It does sound like it's coming from the tailgate area. I've basically been in the boot while the car is moving!

It sounds like something hanging and swinging around while the car is moving.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Could you repeat the drive around whilst in the boot exercise with all the trims off so you steady various panels as you move, spent many a happy in a boot/tailgate with a torch looking for water leaks or trying to identify knocks(usually over rough ground) and collecting bruises.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Think I've got it!

One of the first things I tried months ago was jamming a wad of tissue in the latch. Didn't work. This afternoon I tried it again on the way home. When I got into the car the dash was telling me that he tailgate wasn't shut but I just drove home anyway. No rattle!

Didn't tell me exactly what it was but did tell me a bunch of things it wasn't. Wrapped a few turns of electrical tape around the striker pin, went for a drive and... no rattles! Happy days.

Should've tried that sooner as I've had exactly the same issue on other Seat cars. I assumed because the tissue I tried earlier had no effect that the latch wasn't the culprit. Wrong.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I hope the answer to my problem helps someone else?

Reactions: bgb

Ogi

Jul 13, 2018
Serbia
Would you please be so kind to give me a picture or to somehow explain to me what is "boot latch" and "bump stop" ? I would like to try everything said here becouse i sometimes too hear some noises from the trunk. Striker pin is that thing on the 5th door that enters the lock below ?

Also, i took off the boot panel twice in order to do something and now i am anxious becouse there is a little gap on both sides between the panel and the 5th door. Also, it goes up and down a few mm's since the clips are moving like that in their places. I read somewhere that every time u take off the trip that you need to change the clips !? The clips look ok, they fit properly on the plastic things on the trim but when u put them back in the boot, they are moving a bit .

Did anyone else have that problem ?

Also, i broke off a bit that plastic thing that go inside the boot but i managed to fix that by melting the plastic around.

Last edited:

Shrekker

Jun 4, 2021
its the striker pin on the boot latch , use electrical tape around it and the rattle is gone . the pin is on the edge of the boot trim which the upper latch locks in. i had the same problem . drove me mad.

Ogi

Jul 13, 2018
Serbia
Hmmm, i dont see any problem with it, its totally solid. No rattles at all from there. But i did some other things i read here and more.

Only difference is that when i want to get rid of the rattle, i dont use electrical but self adhesive sponge tape:

1668872271752.png

I would gladly put it behind all the panels in the car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members