Tailgate gas springs

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
On my Leon the tailgate doesn't seem to fully lift on it's own, I have to assist it to go fully open.

If I lift it about half way it just stays there.

I keep banging my head on it when it's not fully up.

Anyone else have the same problem?

I'm thinking of asking for new ones under warranty on my next service.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Mine can struggle sometimes, its not that they dont lift it, it can just stick and require an extra nudge to push it up. Ive also banged my head a good few times.:p

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
I had this, only seemed to get worse when it was very cold.. It's stopped doing it now.

I was thinking that one of them was on the way out, was going to replace it if it got worse, must be the same as gold/a3 etc and cheap from a breaker.

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
im maybe missing something here but why dont you just make the assist and push it up until fully open before rummaging around and bashing your heads??

Or does the boot door fall on you once it is up?

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
On my Leon the tailgate doesn't seem to fully lift on it's own, I have to assist it to go fully open.

If I lift it about half way it just stays there.

I keep banging my head on it when it's not fully up.

Anyone else have the same problem?

I'm thinking of asking for new ones under warranty on my next service.
They ARE covered under warranty and should last at least 10yrs!! [ I assume you oiled the boot lid hinges?] the lift safety factor is about 25% so unless the gas strut has leaked it should punch the tail gate up with out any problems. I fitted gas struts to the front bonnet with out problems [ bonnet needs a bit of strenghting though]

ianltd

Aug 31, 2008
Powys
Hi,

Mine seemed to do it about two months ago (58 Stylance) and the Dealers changed them under warranty on the service and..............................Exactly the same:(

So much so, that when I picked it up from the service, I went back in and asked if they'd forgotten to do it!!

Check out a new one, they seem to be the same.

Now I just automatically duck when I open the gate :whistle:

Ian

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
They ARE covered under warranty and should last at least 10yrs!! [ I assume you oiled the boot lid hinges?] the lift safety factor is about 25% so unless the gas strut has leaked it should punch the tail gate up with out any problems. I fitted gas struts to the front bonnet with out problems [ bonnet needs a bit of strenghting though]

I will lube the hinges when I get a chance, it's a 2009 car so I'd be shocked if they were stiff already, thanks mate.

CupraNoobie

Yep - mine too and it's worse in the cold weather. Having said that, if I ever took the parcel shelf off of my old Puma and opened the boot, it was sufficiently 'urgent' that you ran the risk of banging your chin rather than your head. Use the remote boot release and it would open by itself.

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Im pretty sure i seen a video of a Mk5 Golf with the key coded so that when the boot release button was pressed, it poped open. Combination of using VagCom and adding stronger struts and springs.

It was a long time ago i seen it, but it looked pretty cool. :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.