Tailgate Wiring

L17KKE

Tha Stig
Jun 9, 2009
Hi all

bought a new tailgate for my leon as a skip man reversed into me and destroyed mine but iv noticed theres wiring on them for the light heated rear windscreen wiper and central locking im guesing the cables comeup the sides of the tailgate from wherever they go on the inner boot cover and then into the roof of the carmain thing i want to know is where do they go after the disapear into the roof as i know most cables are run round the footwells of the car but these appear to go into the roof but iv noticed they could come down the B pillars at the back and into the foot wells please help so i can tell the guy who is fitting it where they go im hoping they dont go across the roof as this would probably mean that id have to pull the roof cover off.:confused:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
You disconect everything from the inside of the tail gate then remove all the wires out the bottom when you unbolt the tailgate.......you don't touch anything under the head lining.

To relace you just reverse......its loads easier to run a bit of string through first then pull the wires up.

L17KKE

Tha Stig
Jun 9, 2009
cheers mate whats the best way to get the covers off as they clip on and ive took the 2 screws that are inside the hadles out and then just pulled it but i broke one clip i dont want to do this on my new tailgate when taking it off to feed the cables about to where they need to be and changing the lock so it matches my key

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
You really want a trim clip remover, there about $7 from halfords....there like a screwdriver with a Y fork on the end.

Even with one of these the leon tailgate trims are a pain in the arse and the clips often brake.

L17KKE

Tha Stig
Jun 9, 2009
are the locks easy to change on the tailgates and do you think the boot latch will fit straight over mine and click shut or will i have to mess about with that. coz thats only think im worried about now mate.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
are the locks easy to change on the tailgates and do you think the boot latch will fit straight over mine and click shut or will i have to mess about with that. coz thats only think im worried about now mate.

As Lee said just swap the lock over.

I dont think the tailgate latch is sdjustable but tghe striker pin on the rear panel will be......try and line the tailgate bolts up with the original marks and you wont have to much trouble :)

L17KKE

Tha Stig
Jun 9, 2009
fitted the tailgate and wired everything in and the lock works only problem i have is that it does not line up and iv messed about with it for ages do you reckon this is down to the 4 bolts at the top that are on the hinges and just need altering to the perfect position or something else as i plan to take it to a bodyshop on tuesday so they can have a play and try line it up.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
If you loosen the 4 bolts is there any movement at all to move the boot about?
If so a touch movement on those bolts will look a lot at the edges.

L17KKE

Tha Stig
Jun 9, 2009
yeah theres loads of play and iv messed about with them and seen little changes but cant get it perfect just wanted to know if there could be anything else affecting the allignment as im taking it to a professional as iv stretched my knowledge as far as i can and cant think of what else to do.
will end up spending hours moving the bolts tightening and untightening each time having to remove the hydrolic arms so it moves properly.

L17KKE

Tha Stig
Jun 9, 2009
yeah they probably do il try that im just confused as i dont really know in what direction it needs to be moved as it lines up until the lip of the boot like all the window lines up but the bottom seem too high above the bumper and the lights are out of line

L17KKE

Tha Stig
Jun 9, 2009
pulled them off already as i noticed the old botlid had flat ones and the new one was lifted i may try taking the bottom ones fully off tommorow too see if that helps as i only pulled the tops off the bottom ones if that makes sence :S

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Take the catch off or the catch on the rear panel off then align the tailgate making sure all the gaps are even....you'll do this by moving the tailgate up/down left/right on the hinges.

Once you have all the gaps even and your happy with it put the catch and the struts on and align them so it opens and shuts.