TDI 110 - Been garage diagnosed

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
Hello all,

In relation to the "strange air noise when accelerating" thread.
Seat Leon 03 plate - 110bhp - 80k on the clock.

Had my car in the garage today to look at my turbo due to going into limp mode when hitting the higher revs. I also noticed my turbo seemed to whistle quite loud.

Had the diagnostic return back with fault code;

17965 - P1557
Turbo/Super charger boost sensor (A) Circuit
Value above upper control limit
Sporadic

They reckon that the actuator rod is sticking and causing the problem.
While I have only had the vehicle 3 months and done less than 1000miles, I still have warranty hoping it was going to get sorted asap.
Wrong. They want to replace the whole turbo and I may have to pay for it due to the fault may be caused by Wear N Tear.
Thinking they havent done anything due to the money side, the whistling has quiten down alot and also done my handbrake :S.

I have got to wait to hear back from the main manager from the garage I brought it. I would like some advice as to how I go about this if I have to pay for it? Should I WD40 the rod?

Thanks,
Ptar

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
Think I stand a chance of getting them to pay completely for it?
I cant believe they want to get out off it by saying it could be down to wear and tear. Turbos arent normally listed as a common replacement part for cars.
I have to visit the sales manager on Monday after they speak to the SEAT garage.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
repair or replace at their discression BUT with-in the first six months the problem is deemed to be pre-existing and is THEIR problem, if it needs pushing make noises about small claims court and trading standards don't get pushed around, (legal eagles correct me if I'm wrong) best of luck:)

Last edited:

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
repair or replace at their discression BUT with-in the first six months the problem is deemed to be pre-existing and is THEIR problem, if it needs pushing make noises about small claims court and trading standards don't get pushed around, (legal eagles correct me if I'm wrong) best of luck:)

Thank you, I shall print off some trading standards about used cars. Only had the car 3 months and barely done 1k mileage on it.
I shall head in tomorrow and hopefully get things sorted :). Will update on the situation...

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
Update:
Took car back to the garage I brought it from. They are going to replace the turbo and fight out between themselves and the warranty people as to whom will be paying it.
So got some very good news only thing is Ive gotta drive around in a bright yellow peugeot 107....

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
UPDATE:
Finally got my car back after 9 days of missing it :(.
They have reconditioned the turbo and my god the power is immense *Unless I got to used to the 1 litre Pug :p*.
Feels like a completely different car! Hopefully I shouldnt need to worry about the turbo again now for a very long time, but would it be worth me blanking off the EGR valve?

Pete.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
good, glad that's sorted, yes you can block the egr valve, just plug the pipe on the top(flying saucer looking thing) small nail's favourite so you can reverse if needed, shouldn't get a light up cheers Nic

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
Thank you Nic for your help! I will take the pipe off after speaking to the garage again.
Car does feel fantastic but theres a gyro noise, thought it could be a wheel bearing but seems a bit of a coincidence to happen when I get my car back.
Could the turbo be making this noise?

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
A whirring noise that gets faster when the car gets faster.
Have a feeling its not related to the turbo though because it doesnt make the noise when revving stationary.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members