TDi 150 v TDi 130 MPG??

NeilV70R

I'm new to this forum so you'll have to excuse me if this has been asked before. My wife has one of the last Mk1 Leon FR TDi's (FR+ ?), which we bought to replace a Golf TDi 130. With the Golf she was getting an average of anywhere between 48 - 53 mpg. The FR has now done 9000 miles, but is only averaging 38 - 46 mpg. The official Seat figures reckon the 150 should average viryually the same as the 130.

I was wondering if Seat's figures "pie in the sky", or what anyone else averages out of a TDi 150.

Thanks for any feedback.

Davee1987

Yep high 30s mpg is all i seem to get. Only had my leon a week so im still on the honeymoon period but i dont think ive been driving particulary bad for long spells. i had a tdi 110 passat before getting my tdi150 cupra leon and the passat always got high 40s. Well worth the extra 10mpg in my opinion ;)

if the diesel is falling 10-15mpg under the manufacturers figure , the petrol must be getting low 20s mpg :lol:

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Don't forget that New engines are tight and need to loosen off. My FR TDI is on 16,000 miles now and is acheiving high 40 to low 50 mpg easily. Try changing fuel and see if it helps? I found i got 30 more miles per quarter tank when i used Shell extra compared to BP. Also Millers Diesel sport 4 is proving to be good for mycar.

Deebo

Jan 25, 2004
Wednesbury
Visit site
I've got a bora 150 TDI and my mpg is suffering at the moment. Mainly due to the amount of town driving I'm doing. Get it on the M'way and I can see 48-50mpg easy on a run. The extra additives used in the winter months in Diesel don't help either.

Sisson

Club member
Aug 18, 2005
Derbyshire
i could manage low 50 to low 60's in my ibiza 130, my friends got a leon and he's averaged 47mpg in the last 7k... but the cars done 50k

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
Yep high 30s mpg is all i seem to get. Only had my leon a week so im still on the honeymoon period but i dont think ive been driving particulary bad for long spells. i had a tdi 110 passat before getting my tdi150 cupra leon and the passat always got high 40s. Well worth the extra 10mpg in my opinion ;)

if the diesel is falling 10-15mpg under the manufacturers figure , the petrol must be getting low 20s mpg :lol:

You must have an unsympathetic right foot, my 110 ibiza averages 52 - 58mpg.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
at 9000 miles the car hasnt even been run in yet. I purchased my car with 9k on the clock and its now at 15k and mpg has improved quite considerably. Take note on what fuel you are using, my TDI tends to like Shell Extra (more mpg) much more than BT Ultimate, it totally dislikes supermarket fuels. With supermarket fuels i get lots of black smoke and not as eager.

ALSO try putting in some Millers Diesel Sport 4, seems to upped the mpg.

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
I regulary now only get an average of 38-42 mpg though this is mostly town driving and stop-start carriageways.

I was getting an average of 4-8 mpg more last year using normal Tescos diesel. Ive been using BP Ultimate with Millers additive for a couple of months and although its running smoother and quieter and bit more responsive im not happy with the drop in MPG. cant find any Shell Extra in N.Ireland so will have to stick with BP for a while and give it a chance.

Also, my drop in MPG has also coincided with when I did an ECU reset a couple of months ago...

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
Neil, to answer your question, if you're comparing the 130 and the 150 Golfs I would say you shouldnt notice a significant difference.

There is however a huge difference between the MPG for 130 Ibiza and a 150 Leon due to being heavier. I regulary got average in the high 50's doing same commute i do now.

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
I bought an FR Ibiza yesterday. It appears to average about 48. Its superchipped, but still I had hoped for nearer what my old tdi sport did. The 6th gear hasn't really helped me like I thought it would.

AL-TDI

AL-TDI
May 10, 2005
Walsall West Mids
I've had my Leon Cupra for 2 years now 8k when I brought it 28k now and have never seen more than 38 - 40 mpg in between fill ups unless its has had a long motorway run, it once read 23mpg after a 10 mile duel with a Clio 172 down country lanes but then I didnt buy it to be economical
At the end of the day I happy enough with the mpg compared to the high teens to low twentys of my last car as its almost double.

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
Argh right. I new they did an FR150, just wasn't aware of the Cupra version. I really am considering ditching my superchip in favour of something more custom!

Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
Yes I have a Cupra 150 also, get 40-48mpg on a 14 mile commute to work. That said, if I reset the computer once the car has warmed up (90degrees after about 5 miles) the remaining journey I can get 50-60mpg.

Its the initial 5 miles thats costly. The longer your journey, the better efficiency.

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
My MPG display resets itself when I turn the ignition off. Do they all do this?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.