Tech Pack - Worth it?

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Hi All,

Unfortunately the free tech pack offer doesn't apply to our company leasing scheme.

I'm wondering if people think its worth paying the extra for the Tech Pack - Its £347 a month without, £359 with - over the lease period thats £585.

I'd like to spec the DAB radio (but I'm not sure I can spec just this, and not some other media system option, which presumably will cost me extra). However £585 is a lot of money just for a radio!!

Can anyone comment as to whether the Navigation System or the LED Lights are particularly worthwhile? Ditto the DAB actually, if anyone cares to comment!

Thanks kindly

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Blimey, that was quick!!

How much better are the LED lights in terms of usage (I get they look better, but I've just bought a house, so money is tight!!)

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
When I bought mine at the beginning of last year it was a £500 special offer anyway, had no reservations
Really pleased with the technology pack,would choose it or similar on my next car without hesitation

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
I would say definitely go for it if you can stretch that bit more as it is definitely worth it. Also as far as I know in order to spec DAB you need to upgrade to the Media Plus System anyways so that will be an addition to your monthly amount :)
So the things you get that are worth it:
- Full LED headlights and LED DRL strip, these lights are just amazing. They look great and finish of the car nicely and in the night they are very bright and white so lights up the road nicely. I would say they are as good or better than Xenons!
- Media Plus System and DAB tuner, you will get a bigger touchscreen (5.8 inches instead of 5 inches) and be able to pick up clear DAB stations, possibility to hook up an iPod or USB device to the system also as they provide both MDI cables.
- Navigation System, SD card based system which is very easy to use with TMC traffic reports and integrates well with your vehicle, for example if your fuel light comes on the sat nav asks you if you want to be guided to the nearest petrol station! :) Also with the Navigation you also get a nice high res colour driver's display in the instruments panel instead of a monochrome colour.

So just a few highlights I can think of and I definitely think the tech pack is fantastic! :D

Last edited:

Cougar

Jul 10, 2011
Ditto what AJ has just said.

I can't say I have used the DAB radio much because I always have my iPod connected to the car!

But the LED Headlights are brilliant! Not only do they look the part they equally as good in function!

And the Satnav is ALWAYS useful to have! Especially for those pesky depots when I miss a delivery!

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Cheers guys - wasn't sure the LEDs would have any practical benefit - sounds like they do!

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Lol well don't do that. Not healthy! Still in a total quandary over the whole thing to be honest - currently get a cash allowance of £161 (after tax a month). Taking into account loss of that, and the extra contribution ontop of what my company pays, the Leon would cost about £365 a month. But that's essentially just add fuel - all maintenance insurance etc. The current car is a scirocco costing about £500 a month on personal loan plus maintenance etc (2009 plate). Other option is to pick something up between £2k and £5k - Arg!! Too many options!

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
Lol well don't do that. Not healthy! Still in a total quandary over the whole thing to be honest - currently get a cash allowance of £161 (after tax a month). Taking into account loss of that, and the extra contribution ontop of what my company pays, the Leon would cost about £365 a month. But that's essentially just add fuel - all maintenance insurance etc. The current car is a scirocco costing about £500 a month on personal loan plus maintenance etc (2009 plate). Other option is to pick something up between £2k and £5k - Arg!! Too many options!

How old are you? My insurance and lease on a 25k contract is only about £375/month. (FR Tech Pack 2.0TDI). unless your insurance is insane or your credit is really bad I can't see how its worthwhile.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
28. £360 is the total cost to me per month - inc tyres, servicing, breakdown recovery, Tax (both road and company car tax) - you name it. That's a four year business lease for 20k miles per yr. I reckoned I could get a personal lease for approx £269 for the same car, but with an initial deposit of £1000 for 10k/yr and I have to pay insurance, any damage, etc. So I guess the business lease nearly nets out. Or am I missing something?

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
28. £360 is the total cost to me per month - inc tyres, servicing, breakdown recovery, Tax (both road and company car tax) - you name it. That's a four year business lease for 20k miles per yr. I reckoned I could get a personal lease for approx £269 for the same car, but with an initial deposit of £1000 for 10k/yr and I have to pay insurance, any damage, etc. So I guess the business lease nearly nets out. Or am I missing something?

The difference in mileage rates for private car vs. company (if you have one) and any BIK implications.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
£360 on the company car scheme includes the BIK, and I don't pay for personal mileage (£360 includes my contribution)

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
just a small niggle about the sat nav, it is in my opinion not as good as the standalone TomTom/garmin, though of course you get many versions of those. depends what you are used to.

also plenty of discussion elsewhere about upgrade costs, budget in maybe £120 pa if you want newer maps each year, unless somebody manages to crack the VAG code before then ;-)

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
My nearly 28k car costs £300 a month, unlimted mileage, just add personal fuel on the car scheme. Tax right off basically.

Max Damage

Jun 7, 2013
I told em Hold em
I ditched the tech pack on my company car, and instead used the money on Sunroof, sound pack, sat nav, DAB, convenience pack, Titanium pack. Preferred the wheels and sunroof over the LED lights. Each to their own as always

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.