Temperature gauge jumping like crazy

Feb 5, 2024
Hi, recently I’ve noticed that my temperature gauge is breakdancing so I’ve changed the temperature sensor after I’ve read engine errors but it did not worked. Many people tells me that it’s thermostat but my mechanic told me that it is engine chip tuning failure which is constructed that like when the engine has +/- 2200 rpm’s the computer sends signal that coolant temperature is at very low temperature so the engine pumps more fuel. The chip tuning was made 4 years ago by the old owner, could it fail just day by day now? Below there is a link to a video how does the gauge looks like when accelerating.

Video link

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The explaination about the chip makes sense, i've never seen or heard of anyone doing that before though. It is more likely to damage your engine than produce any more power. Too much fuel will damage the cylinder walls pretty quickly, as it will wash away the oil.

Feb 5, 2024
Thanks for the reply, Is there any sense to change the thermostat first anyway and then do a new chip tuning or changing thermostat wouldn’t probably do anything about it?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
You're welcome. No, changing the thermostat won't do anything. There is no way that a thermostat would react that fast to anything. I'd be 100% confident that the 'tuning' is the issue here.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.