The mechanic destroyed my car!!!

AMoN

Hello everybody, here is our story:

My car is not so lucky and gipsies try to open it... one month I've the car and already 3 times they try to open it.
So, for this problem, I thought that mount an autoalarm will be better than nothing.

So I bought an autoalarm and I went to a mechanic advised by a friend of mine.

Everything bad started:

- First he told me that because I didn't buy the autoalarm from him (answer that i received from all the mechanic in the city where I live - CZ Brno) he will not do absolutely nothing.
- I decided to buy an autoalarm from him, at this point something good, so I took a "magicar" autoalarm with the LCD display on the remote control and the possibility of have the full control of the car (6900 czk around 250euro) and he told me that for mount it will not be a problem (thanks to the can-bus) and the price will be 1000czk (around 40euro) for mount it.

I took appointment for wed, he told me "leave me the car at 8 and you can come at 17 for pick it up", at 16 he sent me a message "there are problems, the car is open and you cannot take it"
After a big fight I left the car to him for another day, the day after I went at 17.30 for pick up the car, and the autoalarm was not working, it says that the doors and the trunk are open... in the same moment I saw that the bonnet was little bit "up" on the left side, thanks to the stuff he put for the autoalarm and he stat to tell me:
"Was already in this way, the car had a big crash, and the electricity is all ****ed up, we have to change some pieces, and there isn't the confort inside so we have to mount it"

He asked me for the job 9500czk in total (autoalarm and mounting - around 350euro) actually 2000czk (90euro) more of what he told me in the beginning.

So I took appointment for the next wed for fix everything, I left him the car again and AGAIN he called me at 16 telling me that there are problems, nothing is working and he need to keep the car for another day.

The day after I went really angry, and nothing was done, the car was still open, and the autoalarm still not working. He asked for other 3500czk (around 150euro) for all the job he did and the pieces he mounted and changed (actually I saw them but...)

I went to the mall for shop with my girlfriend, when we went back for pick up the car from the parking lot the car was NOT STARTING ANYMORE!!!

I called him totally angry asking him what (TF) he did on my car, and he told me that this problem was even before, and he forgot to tell me, but my car never had this problem before!!!

After 1 hour and half a friend of mine came for help us, and using the cables with the batteries linked, the car started.
I went back home and the day after I saw that the battery had the buttons where you put the water inside OPEN!!! and was even an "old" battery, too strange because my engine is 3 years old!!!

So I went for buy a new battery but nothing, the car didn't want to start...
On saturday evening another friend of mine came for see the problem and he said "let's check the fuses, you never know that maybe one is broke" and yes, we checked them, and ALL THE FUSE WHERE MIXED!!! I checked them before I gave the car to the mechanic and were all ok! (I did it for change the one for the electric mirrors that a sweet a nice woman destroied for check her make up).

So we fixed the fuses changing with the right ones ajd putting new one where there were the broke, and NOW THE CAR IS FULL WORKING!!! (only the autoalarm is not working and still do not understand why...)

Can somebody help me to understand:
- Why the car was not starting at all? Can be the fuses the problem? Or is something in the main computer of the car?
- With the manual of the autoalarm in my hands, you thing that there can be a way that I can understand why the autoalarm is still showing the doors open even if they are closed?

Please is really important... my gf is pregnant and we are at the last 4 weeks to go, I want to be sure that my car will start without problems if I need it... after we changed the fuse the car is working without problems but I still have fear...

And I don't trust nobody here because even the official services are not able to solve this problems, they asked me for 15.000czk (500euro) only for check the car and do nothing else... I'm a foreign in a foreign country I hope somebody understand my situation.

Thank you in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
If the fuses were blown, they could be cutting power to the ecu and immobiliser, which would stop the car from starting, yes.

It does sound like you have had a really dodgy mechanic, especially when he has swapped your battery for an old one. Also, the alarm still does not work!!

As for the alarm thinking the door is open, I can believe this. The doorswitches in the leon do fail quite often, and you can't always tell. Try opening the door with the lights on. If you don't hear the warning buzzer, your switch has failed.

AMoN

If the fuses were blown, they could be cutting power to the ecu and immobiliser, which would stop the car from starting, yes.

It does sound like you have had a really dodgy mechanic, especially when he has swapped your battery for an old one. Also, the alarm still does not work!!

As for the alarm thinking the door is open, I can believe this. The doorswitches in the leon do fail quite often, and you can't always tell. Try opening the door with the lights on. If you don't hear the warning buzzer, your switch has failed.

Thank you for the advise first of all, about the fuses, they where not blow but where there must be the one of 5A there was one of 20A and where there must be one of 15A there was one of 7.5A and so on in this way...

For the switch is new, he said that the old owner changed the electricity and is a mix taken from Octavia, Golf and Leon...

This weekend I'll check everything with a friend of mine that understand those things better than me :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise