The under dog Leon cupra 1p

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
So today just going through the Leon I had a idea for something I was dreaming about when my Ibiza cupra was my daily. Which was to fit the K04 turbo from a 2.0tfsi onto my 1.8t but at the time it was so expensive to buy the parts I dismissed the idea. Well today it’s only just sunk in that I actually have 95% of the hardware just sat on the yellow shell to make it dream come true.
hmmmm 🤔
It’s the first time in 2 years I’ve actually thought of doing something with the Ibiza 6L that’s just sat on my drive for no reason other then not having time to work on it.

Reactions: Benmk2cupra

Ghostface

Feb 26, 2020
Sorry to hear about your misfortune bud, I'm glad you've managed to get yourself a new one so fast and what you wanted too. 👍

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Sorry to hear about your misfortune bud, I'm glad you've managed to get yourself a new one so fast and what you wanted too. 👍
Thanks mate It turns out it wasn’t my fault in the end my bodge job was still in place when I had a look at it. I think the chain has come off and has bent the valves for sure…
I still haven’t touched the new car I’m just trying to engine it for awhile before I ruin it with the parts off the yellow one. It is nice to finally get a black mk2 everytime I came home and see it I’m so happy it’s mine. So I know but was dreaming of one for so long now. I’m definitely not looking forwards to how much work it’s going to be to strip the yellow one to a shell and rebuild the black one with its parts.

Reactions: Benmk2cupra

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Quick update. Turned out it wasn’t my fault the car when back. The chain tensioner has failed and the cams jumped timing. So after beating myself up for weeks it wasn’t even my bodge that wrecked it. The valves are bent the damage is done now time to move on. Sell what I can and build the ultimate track weapon mk2.
02F12E28-030B-42BD-9106-9FA1F532B48E.jpeg
DB760816-E6A5-4311-88F7-F62E41614935.jpeg

Last edited:

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Just a small update I haven’t touched the cars at all I have afew new parts to fit to the black one in the new year and then start stripping the yellow one to finally swop the good parts over to the black one.

The CUPRA scrap yard.
Where old cupra come to die…
576B4EE3-2BB4-4C38-A04D-55EFF6606EF5.jpeg
06BD0085-8AD0-427F-811B-3C99A83FCAC7.jpeg
7B9A4C04-AE32-44F3-9A9C-2EADAE8C56A8.jpeg

Reactions: vwtrev and MoToJoJo

thatslowk1

Jul 30, 2021
That's a bit **** mate, feel gutted for you to be honest! That black cupra does look nice though - what are you gonna do, transfer your wheels n stuff onto that?

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
That's a bit **** mate, feel gutted for you to be honest! That black cupra does look nice though - what are you gonna do, transfer your wheels n stuff onto that?
Hi mate yea the plan is fit my regal built gearbox with wavtrac my cooler workz shifter both anti roll bars and afew other bits from the yellow one into the black one I’ve got the brand new 18z and ebc blue stuff to swop over too. A lot work ahead but will be my ultimate track spec in my dream colour mk2 so all good. I’m breaking the yellow one for bits I’m not keeping. Can’t wait to fit the wavtrac and cooler worx shifter into the black one as it already drives really well. I took it on track for 20mins 2 days after I got it too I cooked the brakes the first lap lol but was pretty good Overall. And yea I’ll swop the wheels over when I do the brakes too.
The story continues for me to build my dream spec cupra mk2. Sod’s law I brought this and the week after I saw a genuine K1 I’m black for 2k less then what I paid for this but it was a fixer upper K1 not a keeper like this cupra I have.

And maybe put my SL0 5EAT plate on it too but not really a priority right now.

Hows yours going anything new?

Last edited:
Reactions: thatslowk1

thatslowk1

Jul 30, 2021
Hi mate yea the plan is fit my regal built gearbox with wavtrac my cooler workz shifter both anti roll bars and afew other bits from the yellow one into the black one I’ve got the brand new 18z and ebc blue stuff to swop over too. A lot work ahead but will be my ultimate track spec in my dream colour mk2 so all good. I’m breaking the yellow one for bits I’m not keeping. Can’t wait to fit the wavtrac and cooler worx shifter into the black one as it already drives really well. I took it on track for 20mins 2 days after I got it too I cooked the brakes the first lap lol but was pretty good Overall. And yea I’ll swop the wheels over when I do the brakes too.
The story continues for me to build my dream spec cupra mk2. Sod’s law I brought this and the week after I saw a genuine K1 I’m black for 2k less then what I paid for this but it was a fixer upper K1 not a keeper like this cupra I have.

And maybe put my SL0 5EAT plate on it too but not really a priority right now.

Hows yours going anything new?

Yeah, mine is good mate! Done quite a bit to it to be fair I need to do a proper build thread update.

You could put the plate on retention and keep it for a bit until you want to put it on your black cupra.

Should be a monster spec with all them nice trick bits on it. I can't wait to start setting build thread updates on it to be honest!!!
The standard brakes are ok with decent discs n pads but you can still cook them pretty easy tbh. Them 18Z's do look mega!

I have done a cheeky brake upgrade myself :p
RSQ3 8 Pot caliipers with 365mm wavy discs.

IMG_2530.jpeg

Reactions: vwtrev

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Yeah, mine is good mate! Done quite a bit to it to be fair I need to do a proper build thread update.

You could put the plate on retention and keep it for a bit until you want to put it on your black cupra.

Should be a monster spec with all them nice trick bits on it. I can't wait to start setting build thread updates on it to be honest!!!
The standard brakes are ok with decent discs n pads but you can still cook them pretty easy tbh. Them 18Z's do look mega!

I have done a cheeky brake upgrade myself :p
RSQ3 8 Pot caliipers with 365mm wavy discs.

View attachment 29433
Nice did they bolt up to the Leon alloy hubs ok or did you have to change them to tt mk2 like me?

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
The K1 has alloy hubs as standard mate so they bolt straight up.

Did you have to upgrade to go to cast hubs running the 18z callipers?
No mine has alloy hubs but the spacing was wrong I had to fit tt mk2 front hubs which have a better geo too and better placement on the ball joints but it caused me a head ache with the track rods to over come that I’m having compbrake make me some rose jointed race track rod ends to properly fit the hubs just awaiting for them to deliver them. If yours bolted straight up I’d say yours is a lot better setup and you’ve got 8 pots mines only 8. I could have just fitted the steel mk5 golf hubs and it would have been a straight fit but didn’t want to take alloy hubs off and fit steel.

thatslowk1

Jul 30, 2021
No mine has alloy hubs but the spacing was wrong I had to fit tt mk2 front hubs which have a better geo too and better placement on the ball joints but it caused me a head ache with the track rods to over come that I’m having compbrake make me some rose jointed race track rod ends to properly fit the hubs just awaiting for them to deliver them. If yours bolted straight up I’d say yours is a lot better setup and you’ve got 8 pots mines only 8. I could have just fitted the steel mk5 golf hubs and it would have been a straight fit but didn’t want to take alloy hubs off and fit steel.
Ahh yeah I have heard they are better for handling but never really looked into them though - deffo sounds like a cool upgrade!

The kit is a full RSQ3 setup and it bolted straight on basically - rather impressed tbh.

IMG_2506.jpeg

I will be honest with you I had a Porche 911 (996) 4 pot setup before this which come with brackets for only cast hubs. Luckily VagBremTechnic did adaptors to suit but I had to sack them off as they screeched a lot. I spoke to a load of people and they all had the same issue and the only fix is to run standard OEM pads.

Pic of the original Porche setup - sneaky pic of the BC's I have on it too which I have not put on my build thread yet.

IMG_0617.JPG

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Looks wicked. Fair play. I like seeing things done properly like this it gives me motivation to work on my car and build my ultimate track spec. Keep up the good work mate.

thatslowk1

Jul 30, 2021
Looks wicked. Fair play. I like seeing things done properly like this it gives me motivation to work on my car and build my ultimate track spec. Keep up the good work mate.
You too mate! Yours is a much better spec than mine to be honest but I hope I can build something as good as yours. Get the build thread up of your black one mate I am keen to see your progress :p

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
You too mate! Yours is a much better spec than mine to be honest but I hope I can build something as good as yours. Get the build thread up of your black one mate I am keen to see your progress :p
Thanks for the kind words mate that’s made my day. I definitely will update this thread as soon as I start swopping the parts over from the yellow shell.

thatslowk1

Jul 30, 2021
Thanks for the kind words mate that’s made my day. I definitely will update this thread as soon as I start swopping the parts over from the yellow shell.
Any time mate - if you are planning any track days this year let me know and I will see if I can book on with my K1

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
May have to threaten to come down and give you hand to get this one moving.

Can't let my diesel be the quicker car 😁
It was already the faster car on track at Silverstone lol I couldn’t keep up round the bends haha

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members