The usual fan issue

ajoellew

Oct 24, 2006
Bristol
Having read about it on here I noticed the other day that my slow fan never seems on when I turn my engine off. Sure enough last night I started her up from cold with the bonnet up, then turned on the aircon and the slow fan wasn't coming on at all so I guess it's knackered. [:@]

I was just wondering if it would do any major damage continuing to drive around like this? It is booked in for an MOT on Thursday so I will get a quote then for it to be fixed. I do have a 5* RAC warranty which I am hoping might cover the cost but they are slippery buggers and will try and wriggle out of it I'm sure.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
It will be alright for a short while - the problem occurs when the high speed fan burns out too - it doesn't like starting and stopping all the time - when this happens you have no additional cooling for the car.

Have you checked the high speed fan still works?

ajoellew

Oct 24, 2006
Bristol
Yes, it comes on periodically, so the car does not overheat. I wouldn't have realised anything was wrong unless I'd read about it on here.

Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
Its reducing the life of the large fan, and will probably blow when you are stuck in traffic on a hot summers day if you are as lucky as me.

Silly thing is, its a very common fault with VW cars, but VW have not recognised it, so you foot the bill.

Smart22186

Feb 21, 2006
Peterborough, England
Take it u read it in one of my threads?? (am sat here thinking, this happened to me the other day) any how, ok so done lots of checks on my fan and one is deff broke.!! how much??

ajoellew

Oct 24, 2006
Bristol
I just had a quote for £360 from Seat. Am gonna ask a local garage who are MOTing it on Thursday for a quote too.

Hopefully my RAC warranty will cover it.

Goz

running on the dark stuff
Oct 28, 2004
North Hampshire
I noticed my air-con not giving cold air when stopping at lights etc. then a few weeks ago, when stuck in traffic jam on the M4, the engine temp rose sharply! did the usual thing, turn on heater, open windows, which did the trick. Realised that the main engine fan had not been coming on recently. Thought it was the ususal knackered fan issue.
So took it to a local independent and they found the main fuse in the engine bay blown. Replaced and all working fine, though suspect that the bearings are on the way out as, as this is the likely cause of the fan going.
Anyway, try spinning the fan by hand to get it going.

Smart22186

Feb 21, 2006
Peterborough, England
Fan spins nice and free by hand, no grinding or anything, just to clarify, as you look at the car (i.e. facing windscreen) its the fan on the right thats packed up.

Where could i find these fuses?

matt-drummer

Jun 14, 2007
Ipswich
I wouldn't stick my hands anywhere near those fans with the power connected, they can start at any time and they are more than powerful enough to do some serious damage to your hands!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise